Series by Shoji Kawamori I wasn't aware of...

crasis

My apologies if this has been brought up before...

I was just browsing Egan Loo's wonderful Escaflowne Compendium (http://www.anime.net/escaflowne/index.html) when I stumbled across the production list page. I know Kawamori has lended his talents as a Mecha designer on an enormous amount of shows, but a quick scan of his work as a creator raised a question mark. I have never heard of the recent series "Earth Defense Family," to which he is credited as both Creator and Series Planner. A quick search on google brought up mostly online shops selling a HK bootleg set of the series with very little plot information or reviews. From what I can gather, it seems to be a comedy (geared towards a young audience?) centered around a family wearing powersuits...? It looks very...cutesy...for a Kawamori production. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have more info on this series? Is it worth picking up this HK set? So far, I've loved everything I've seen from the man (from all Macross to Escaflowne... haven't picked up Arjuna yet), and I'd hate to pass up a cool series based on my initial reaction to a "kiddie" image.

And while I'm thinking about it... besides Earth Defense Family, does anyone have any info on the failed Kawamori project, Maimu (never completed, pilot only)? I'd be interested to see what it was about...? Perhaps it mutated into another of his fine works? :huh:

Just curious. B)

post-26-1063166077.jpg

Edited by crasis

EDF is hilarious stuff. Basically this average Japanese family is selected to be the members of a sentai team in the near future. Of course they have no training, or even a real desire to fight the bad guys, so comedy insues.

ok that might be good

• 11 months later...
Now I want to see it!

Well, you will later this year when Geneon Entertainment releases it on DVD as The Daichis - Earth Defense Family.

Really? Cool that they would release something relatively obscure like this. Now if I could only get an R1 release of Blazing Exchange Student.

I will add a couple pieces of information about Maimu, although what you said already was about the extent of my knowledge :p Originally from 1989, there are a few character sketches and cell works in My Time. One monochromatic piece in Innocence from '97 and that's it. Only thing else I could say is girl on bike.

Now I want to see it!

Well, you will later this year when Geneon Entertainment releases it on DVD as The Daichis - Earth Defense Family.

Really? Cool that they would release something relatively obscure like this. Now if I could only get an R1 release of Blazing Exchange Student.

I've only ever heard of the show as 'Blazing Transfer Student'. Excellent OVA though.

I also want a DVD of Hareluya Boy II.

From my understanding, Blazing Transfer Student along with Bakuen Campus Guardress, and Prefectural Earth Defense Force (one of my all time favorite shows) will probably never get licensed because the studio that made them went under and the rights are now in Never Never Land.

There is a trailer for EDF on the Geneon DVD they were giving out at Anime Expo.

Well, I hate to be negative but it really looked terrible to me. I guess I was hoping for something that looked more like Macross, Escaflowne, Arjuna.

I don't know.....maybe I'll be wrong and it will be fantastic.

There is a trailer for EDF on the Geneon DVD they were giving out at Anime Expo.

Well, I hate to be negative but it really looked terrible to me. I guess I was hoping for something that looked more like Macross, Escaflowne, Arjuna.

I don't know.....maybe I'll be wrong and it will be fantastic.

It's a spoof/commedy, so it's really not fair to compare it to those other shows. It's silly and fun, or at least I thought so.

From my understanding, Blazing Transfer Student along with Bakuen Campus Guardress, and Prefectural Earth Defense Force (one of my all time favorite shows) will probably never get licensed because the studio that made them went under and the rights are now in Never Never Land.

Odd with Bastard! and the JoJo OVA being licenced and they're from the same studio which made the three you've mentioned.