Desperately Seeking Avalon

Yang_Neumann

So I'm skimming through the features on my copy of "The Eye" and I come across a trailer for this movie that just happens to be a live-action effort by the one and only Mamoru Oshii called "Avalon". From what I gathered it's about this virtual reality game and the main character in the movie is trying to reach the ultimate level in the game and must reluctantly form an oft-times uneasy alliance with other players to achieve this goal. From the trailer it seems as if this movie is a .hack meets The Matrix meets Existenz. What reviews I could find are sketchy. Have any of you seen it and if so, is it worth shelling out the money for it?

Imho I would suggest you screen it before buying a copy.

Normally I'd buy it just for the simple fact that it was directed by him. Since this is the only live action film of his that I'm aware of I'm a little wary. Knowing that Neil Gaiman contributed to the screenplay (Penned? Translated?) tempts me a little.

I thought it was a great little "art film". I watched an un-subbed version though, so I could only take it in on a visual level.

Animeniacs has the HK DVD for sale, with subs and extras, for $21. :)

Of for those who don't want to support organized crime in Asia, you can buy the Japanese release which also has English subtitles. The Korean release (which is legit) has them as well.

For my own two cents on the film: I like Mamoru Oshii's work, but I really didn't like this one. I saw it about six months ago in a class at the University of Oregon (actually, one on Oshii's films), and this one struck me as slow, boring and way too complex. The special effects were good, and the acting I guess was good (It was in Polish :blink::blink::blink: so I can't say for sure) but the script and plotting were way off. There was five minutes of the main character, Ash, riding the subways and entering her house over and over again. We coudl have done with much less to grasp the concept that she leads a repetitive, alienated life.

Yeah I got the not quite official version *cough cough* at a semi-local dvd store only knowing Mamoru Oshii was involoved. I don't know anything about Neil Gaiman's involvement, no listing on the credits anyways. The movie has some great visuals (the opening, navigating the game, the Juggernaut fight), but yeah the script does suffer a bit. I guess you could argue all those "atmosphere" shots were trying to emphasize basic apsects of life (like guys gobbling noodles and dogs getting 4-course meals) but when you see the ending, it really doesn't make all that much sense. So I'd give it a rental before you plunk down cash

Avalon is good pelicula, like ghost in the shell but with real actors. It has an air to LAIN. Virtual fights, future retro are some of their greater characteristics.

I want ASH SO for my PC. :lol:

Knowing that Neil Gaiman contributed to the screenplay (Penned? Translated?) tempts me a little.

Are you sure your not talking about Mirrormask (Coming out next year BTW)? He, Dave McKean and Henson's Workshop are currently in post production. Huh? I knew Neil worked on the english translation on Mononoke Hime. It does intrigue me as well bout' Avalon.

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25