Jolly Rogers Super Hornets, pics!

They'll probably adopt a low-vis scheme similar to the one they're currently using... the tailfins aren't black, but they're a really dark grey. I hope they keep the Vegabond stripe somehow... it wouldn't bode well for the bearers of the skull and crossbones to forget their roots :)

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the scheme they're currently using:

post-26-1089780954_thumb.jpg

Ok, I couldn't resist.... as another tribute to the most wonderful plane and the most wonderful squadron.... here was the CAG bird during the holliday season of 2000 lol they called it the "santa cat"

post-26-1089781666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull Leader

One of the things is, Boeing even did "low-vis" AA tailcodes. Even the current low-vis planes in the wing get the lightning-style lettering. See here:

Or look at the yellow-tipped CAG about 3 posts above.

Edited by David Hingtgen

FYI:

AA is the tailcode for the 17th wing.

FYI It's Carrier Air Wing 17 (CVW-17). Not the "17th Wing" (someone would think that's Air Force). ;)

Edited by USMCBebop

To black tail or not to black tail.

Hell, I remember back in '92 when the VF-31 Tomcatters first came to Miramar, the pilots told me that some admiral didn't even like black lettering on gray air planes. :rolleyes:

Someone said the gray tactical camo is practical and that's a no s****er (for combat anyways). But "When in Rome" show off those colors!

Edited by USMCBebop

that paint scheme was made to fit a tomcat, it doesn't look good on the hornets.

they should come up with a new scheme that actually looks right on the hornet (similar to how the paterns on the Blue Angles change ever time they get diffrent planes)

you can't very well force the paint scheme of one vehicle onto another and expect it to look good.