A little advice would go a long way.....

ScrubbyMonkey

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the hobby after taking a long break off (it's been about 5 years since I last built a model). I've already got my airbrush and airsource setup, but I need advice on what paint systems to use, and what is preferred.

So, any suggestions? I realize that one person doesn't use just one brand of paint, but what brands are preferred. Generally I prefer to work with acrylics, so anything along those lines would be great. Also, where can I order gunze paints from, and aside from Mr. Surfacer, is their line of paints any good?

Thanks in advance for the answers,

Shaun

I used to use Model Master Acrylic but after using Tamiya I'm not going back. It's easier to use (MM wont come out of the airbrush when I set my compresoor lower than 20 psi).

I also use Future Floorwax for my initial sealer or before the panel wash. It's cheap and smells good too :)

Thanks,

d

-----------

The name is Joel, feel free to use it.

d,

Have you had any problems with Tamiya acrylics seeming like they're not completely curing? I always thought they felt a little "soft" when I used them. Don't get me wrong, I loved using them, they went on great, but maybe it was something I was doing wrong.

Shaun

I use Tamiya and Gunze and Future for a sealer.  I haven't run into the 'soft' issue that you described.

same here.... 5 minutes after apllying the paint feels dry to the touch... just make sure you're applying thin layers... don't apply thick layer at once.

thanks,

d

Edited by dyowelb