mtg; magic the gathering help

Haven't played in a longtime, but (unless things have changed) you'll need some Starter boxes to get the Lands then you can get tons of Booster packs.

Also, IIRC, the rarity does not necessarily mean they are the "best" in regards to gameplay. I remember getting blasted from Commons and Uncommons while waiting to play some of my Rares. :blink:

Things are so different now, if I were to pick up some new cards today, it woudl be like I never saw a Magic card before. :unsure:

Also about getting more rares, back in the day the only way to get lands was by buying Starter Decks, so you had better chance of getting rares by buying Booster Packs, but today, lands come on both Starter Decks and Boosters packs, so I would say, you have about same chance buying either one.

heh, my deck is still stuck back in the Ice Age (with a smattering of Mirage...). Went to a Magic game a few years ago and got thrown out almost immediately. Half of my deck was illegal under current rules, not to mention most of the MtG crowd there were too young to remember Ice Age.

I remember there were fancy starter decks that had the whole thing set up for you, didn't even need to put together your own deck. Give those a try. *grumble about REAL men putting together their own decks back in the day...*

does anyone have any decks are sets they can sell me? i'm looking around online, what is the difference between unlmited, revised, 4th edition, 5th, ice age and all? it says that chronicles are a reprint of three differnen old decks from before. it seems that the revised, unlimited, chronicles 4th edition are pretty old, if anyone has any of those cards i'd like to buy it from them. also, what's the difference between the black border and the white?

If you wanna play on the latest tournaments then you need mostly the newer expansions, so I wouldn't recommend the older ones, because not only are they expensive, but the cards that you CAN use, they already have them re-printed in the newer expansions.

heh, my deck is still stuck back in the Ice Age (with a smattering of Mirage...).  Went to a Magic game a few years ago and got thrown out almost immediately.  Half of my deck was illegal under current rules, not to mention most of the MtG crowd there were too young to remember Ice Age.

I remember there were fancy starter decks that had the whole  thing set up for you, didn't even need to put together your own deck.  Give those a try. *grumble about REAL men putting together their own decks back in the day...*

Amen!!

Started with Revised & The Dark and also ended with Ice Age, Homelands, and a few Mirage when they just came out.......what are we talkin'?.........10-11 YEARS AGO!!! :blink: Even still have some Duelist magazines somewhere!

Oberatixx, if I could find the umpteen thousands of cards I have, I'd help ya, but it's been a while......

Couple of years ago I got hooked on the MTGPlay online playing through the MTG Interactive Encylopedia PC game, but as Akilae stated, the cards I was used to are "illegal." (besides the fact I'm on a Mac :unsure: )

BTW, here's my favorite card :D;)

post-26-1088654514_thumb.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

I still have most of my cards from the alpha/beta days... I stopped playing sometime around "legends" (I think that's what it was)

I DO know that those "made/ready-to-play" decks can be cut down by almost anyone with even a remote idea of how the game works.

so i should get a started box for him first? the started box comes with 10 boxes, with 60 cards each, is that enough or should i get a booster box as well?

Well, getting a starter *box* isn't a bad way to go about doing it if you know what to do with all those cards, ie what kind of deck you want to put together... I started off with a starter box, and looted/pillaged my way up to a fairly complete Ice Age collection, a tri-color deck, a white weenie/green wyrm deck, and a black/red direct damage/pump-up deck (this is the one that got me thrown out... I was pumping up my Hoar Shades and destroying land/casting fireball like mad, lol).

I don't think any of us would really be of any help even if we could dig out our cards again, as Ladic said, if you want your bro to have fun with other guys, then better off buying new cards.

Now if only I could find somebody with an Ice Age Jester's Cap I can win to complete my collection...

Get him a 8th edition deck and probably a couple of booster also 8th edition, when he gets more familiarized with the way each color works he can build a two color deck by getting a couple of 8th edition constructed decks of the color he wants his deck to and improve it with some more boosters.

To get into a deck some of the advanced cards of the recent expansions he could try buying some theme deck or a couple of tournament decks

you can also get him some rare single cards through e-bay

I bought 4 millstones for 2.50

my favorite card for a mono black deck is Nightmare.

Edited by RichterX

Haven't played in years. My peak of playing was when Ice Age came out, and I bought a whole Starter Box back then. Came out with a fat stack of good cards from that. I got a few cards out of the next expansion but that's it really. Only had a few 4th editions as well. Predominently Revised and Ice Age. Got them in a binder and in a box. The ice age starters are organized by color using the original boxes.

Lands now come in boosters as well? That kinda sucks.

I loved using millstones.

My favorite card of all was the Demonic Hordes.

Edited by Anubis

my fav card was Royal Assasin.

Likewise. :D

All of this talk made me dig up my "chess deck." Got the idea from a Duelist mag years ago. You pick 2 colors and it had a bunch of requirements for each "piece" (although I do not remember exactly what they were). See if you remember these cards......

set-up is as follows ( as if looking down onto a chessboard):

pawn - rook

pawn - knight

pawn - bishop

pawn - queen

pawn - king

pawn - bishop

pawn - knight

pawn - rook

-------------------

Sabretooth Tiger - Wall of Stone

Sabretooth Tiger - Roc of Kher Ridges

Sabretooth Tiger - Eron the Relentless

Sabretooth Tiger - Sivan Dragon

Drudge Skeletons - Baron Sengir

Drudge Skeletons - Sengir Vampire

Drudge Skeletons - Fallen Angel

Drudge Skeletons - Wall of Bone

Queen's Artifact - Jester's Cap

King's Assistant - Royal Assassin

-------------------

2/1 First Strike - 0/8

2/1 First Strike - 3/3 Flying

2/1 First Strike - 5/2 Regen...Can attack when summoned

2/1 First Strike - 5/5 Flying...pumper

1/1 Regen - 5/5 Flying...regen vamp...counters

1/1 Regen - 4/4 Flying...counters

1/1 Regen - 3/3 Flying...pumper

1/1 Regen - 1/4 Regen

Limited to so many cards in the deck.......Was cool to play with......Creature battles were the way to go!! Direct-Damage/Scorch decks were brutal........uh-oh......getting the itch..... :unsure: