Meaning of "Minmay Guard" Design

Kamjin 639

The first time that I saw the designs for the "Minmay Guard" Valkyries, I was kinda wondering as to how this design came about. However, as I'm not really a modeling afficianado, I was more interested as to how--if at all--the Minmay Guard squadrons would operate in the world of Macross.

Personally, I have never heard of "Minmay Guard" story-wise, but I think that its an interesting concept, at least, that the U.N. Spacy could possibly create a special squadron with that name. However, what would be the purpose? I must ask...And if there's already an explanation, then I suppose that the following are in vain, but alas, let's give it a shot:

Minmay Guard is...

1) A special deployment of renegade Zentraedi busters in the proximity of Earth orbit;

2) A morale-boosting display team post-Space War I, a la the Angelbirds;

3) A singing group, like Jamming Birds (ugh...okay, forget that one)

4) An award of some sort, as if to recognise the U.N. Spacy's top squadron each year, giving them the honor of wearing the title "Minmay Guard."

Its interesting: A squadron named after the universe's most beloved idol singer!

Well, the two Minmay Guard designs have touring information on them, so I assume that they're meant to be, um, guarding Minmay as she travels from show to show.

The REALLY odd part, though, is that the tour dates are for 2013 (in Paris, I believe) and 2014 (on the Moon)...Minmay would be off on the Megaroad at that point...

Wow! I mean, I know (because I said it myself) that Minmay is the hottest musical artist in known existence at the time, but for the U.N. Spacy to dedicate a certain amount of Valkyries exclusively to protect her...well, one has to wonder what kind of vested-interest they have in her singing (hint hint, Propaganda). ;)

But as for the concert dates on Earth? Hmm...Well, I suppose that with the multi-playing of Minmay's fate at the end of Flashback 2012, either way is possible. I just kinda figured that most people believe that she went with the Megaroad-01, which would be contrary to what this model company's turning out. Then again, if you completely *ignore* the tour dates, the Megaroad-01 might have been equipped with a Minmay Guard squadron...

A way to sell more kits.

Thanks for the insights. I can tell that you really thought that one through. Don't be a hater.

But he's right. Minmay Guard are not cannon in any way as far as I know. Not that I don't like the idea... but you asked.

Yep not Canon. That's why you won't ever see a Yamato version of it. On the other hand they DID do a Low Vis, and if Hasegawa followed through with it, who knows - a factory made Minmay Guard toy could be possible. But I personally love the work the fans do on the customs of it *hugs his commission, gets hurt by pointy plastic pieces*

Yep not Canon. That's why you won't ever see a Yamato version of it. On the other hand they DID do a Low Vis, and if Hasegawa followed through with it, who knows - a factory made Minmay Guard toy could be possible. But I personally love the work the fans do on the customs of it *hugs his commission, gets hurt by pointy plastic pieces*

Yamato did a run of the Low Viz because Kawamori liked the paint scheme. Really, he liked the paint scheme. And the "Minmay Guard" is also just another paint scheme. You can dream up whatever story you want, it's just a paint scheme.

http://www.tmpanime.com/product_info.php?products_id=785

http://www.valkyrie-exchange.com/Hasegawa/...inmayguard.html

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/m...stoms-148-3.htm

It's just another custom.

Well she is a defensive weapon... and she has been captured before.

i was going to mention that too. not only was she a weapon, but with all the giant zentradi walking around who are huge (pun) fans of hers, it makes sence she'd have mech bodyguards.

besides, i've always understood that the earth had more valks than they knew what to do with, it was pilots they were missing. so she could probably buy/rent them pretty cheap... as far as the story universe goes.