RAF to sell off Eurofighters upon delivery

Oh, it wasn't unfair at all. It was 6 on 6. 3 sets of 2 F-15's, but 2 sets of 3 Jaguars. :) F-15's expected pairs, and the Jags got all 3 F-15 pairs.

Whoever is piloting those Jags must be damn good.

-NOS

Hey, at least there's always Northrup/Grumman

iirc Northrup/Grumman is leaving the aviation business and instead is focusing(sp) on their shipbuilding operations.

Yeah! Where did you get that info?

-NOS

iirc Northrup/Grumman is leaving the aviation business and instead is focusing(sp) on their shipbuilding operations.

Beats me, the best I could recall seeing the tidbit on an avation or military news site some time ago. Frankly I do hope it is just a rumor.

-NOS

Beats me, the best I could recall seeing the tidbit on an avation or military news site some time ago. Frankly I do hope it is just a rumor.

I hope it's just a rumor. Northrup/Grumman=shipbuilding, doesn't quite go together doesn't it?

From the rumors I heard quite a few years ago, Northrop/Grumman was getting out of the fighter business due to poor sales in (then) recent years... beats me, these things surface every now and then.

Guess so. Btw, what has Northrop/Grumman been doing lately?

Developing radar for JSF, laying keel hauls for new navy ships, developing stuff for new navy submarines and doing other stuff for the JSF program and doing an advanced avionics upgrade for the E-2 hawkeye. As well as helping manufacture the super hornet.

So that's what they've been doing. Thanks for the info.

Simple. Since they were pretty much forcefully kicked out of the plane-building business, they figured they might as well get a monopoly on the ship-building business. :) Now they build the carriers that the Super Hornets live on. :)

wait so you mean no more souped up F-5 lineage variants or variable geometry stealths? SAy it aint sooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn. Leave it to boeing to design the next gen naval fighter :angry:

yea boeing who barely did anything with fighters till past decade <_<

So.... I guess this means we'll get carriers that are as agile as frigates, as fast as hydrofoils, have an RCS no larger than an ocean wave, and look like they're 50 years ahead of their time :-p but isn't ship building dominated by the likes of Newport News, Electric Boat Co., etc..?

From what I remember reading, Grumman's death bell was the cancellation of the F-14 upgrades... then they merged with Northrop.

What was the last straw for Northrop? The YF-23?

Northrop/Grumman bought out Newport News, so they are #1 now. :)

End of Northrop? Combination of A-12 and YF-23 losses, plus losing their OWN DESIGN, the Hornet. But how McDonnellDouglas legally acquired the rights to a Northrop design is another story. One I honestly don't know much about, only that it (like always) involves Congress, and "well it depends on who we export it to--is Saudia Arabia going to buy any?" If the Northrop F-18 (that's the original name) still was Northrop's, they certainly wouldn't be hurting for cash, and certainly wouldn't have partnered with Grumman, who had the anti-Hornets in the form of the A-6E and F-14. (The A-6 was in production longer than most people realize)

Northrop still makes a LOT of the Hornet (and Super Hornet) parts, since it is their design, but the rights/money all goes to MDC (and now Boeing).

Finally--Northrop never ever was even treated half-a$$ well by the govt. They ranked below Vought and North American and Rockwell, money/favors/lobbyist-wise. F-5, F-17, F-20, and F-23 were all never bought by the US. (Well, asides from like a dozen F-5E's for the USN and a tiny USAF F-5C order) Because you know it's practically impossible for congress to buy the best, sleekest, fastest, coolest-looking plane. Northrop relied mainly upon export sales, since every other nation was like "hey, this rocks, and is way cheaper than MDC/Boeing stuff". But as the 80's and 90's came along, having a "USAF" plane became more and more important. So if the USAF didn't buy it, nobody else really did either.

Edited by David Hingtgen