Revell/Monogram Models - any good?

One of the two local modelling / hobby shops (in Neuss, Germany) is closing and has a 30% discount on

most models and toys. I never was a frequent customer there because they don't offer any Macross kits

and all their scale aircraft are Revell/Monogram kits. Lego's pretty cheap, though.

Now I'm tempted because of the cheap model kit prices. I usually only order models from HLJ. Now they have a few 1:48 and 1:72 aircraft kits and lots of 1:72 and 1:35 armor kits left. They also have some of the Revell 1:72 completed diecast fighter line. Does any modeller here in this forum have an opinion on the Revell stuff in general and especially the 1:72 fighter kits/toys? I think I'm getting at least the F-14.

The local people and the shop clerks aren't really much of a help; about the only models most people here know are cars and trains... I'd really appreciate some input.

I wouldn't care so much about the quality of the model in itself unless I was expecting a very close resemblance and almost flawless execution to the original model. If the models are dirty cheap I would buy them for kit bashing or scratchbuilding instead.

Although I wouldn't expect Hasegawa and Tamiya levels of engineering with Revell/Monogram kits, they're still not all bad if you're willing to put some work into it.

Before I knew about Gundam, all I built were Revell/Monogram fighters (1:48 scale, mostly... I didn't build much 1/72...), and I didn't have too much trouble with them. There are some nasty gaps to fill, but if you've built models before, they're no big deal.

I remember the 1/48 scale F-16 kit with the blade antennas on top of the nosecone was pretty damn good.

Their car kits arent that bad, though. I remember building their Ferrari Testarossa 512TR several years back, and the part fit seemed pretty good. I just finished assembling the 1995 ('96?) Batman Forever BatMobile, and it's sitting here on my desk. Save some seams in the back side of the car, it fit well, and there's a nice amount of details.

Check it out:

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~stamen0083/progs...BatMobile01.jpg

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~stamen0083/progs...BatMobile02.jpg

And I'm excited about their new Enzo Ferrari kit.

Thanks for the input, guys!

I ended up picking up two Sukois, a diecast F-14D and a diecast F-16, all in 1/72. The diecast

models are quite detailed and nicely armed, good paint job too.

I took a sharp look at the 1/48 line, but model shelf space is running out...

BTW, does anyone have experience with Revell airbrush equipment?