Way OT: Radeon 9800 Pro Compatibility

wakobi

Sorry about this being OT and all mods but i'm dying for some help (ya can spank me later :D ).

I've got Macross VO for my PC and on my current setup it runs like crap, so I decided to purchase an upgrade for my computer. I picked up one of the new AMD 64 processors and a Radeon 9800 Pro, but on the Radeon box it deosn't mention the AMD64 as being one of the supported chipsets (presumably because it came out after the 9800 series was produced).

I've looked EVERYWHERE for help on this so I was wondering if on the slightest chance that one of our Macrossworlders had any idea about AMD 64/Radeon 9800 compatibility.

Fanx in advance! ^_^

Your answer can be best replied at ATI's site. The answer will probably be found in their FAQs, and if it isn't, a quick e-mail should solve that problem.

But the most likely answer should be: Yes, the 9800 will work properly in a motherboard that's designed to use the Athlon 64.

Really, the incompatability isn't between the CPU and GPU, it's the chipset on the motherboard that can cause a whole host of problems. I remember my problems with my TNT2 and the Ali chipset on AMD motherboards... It was so bad, that you almost couldn't play anything...