F-14 kits, reviews, comparisons, and Shin's

David Hingtgen

That kit is the exact one I've been taking photos of. That's the only one with EVERY part you need right out of the box. Any later A/A+/B has every part but the chinpod. I'm going to see if there's aftermarket chinpods available, would make it easier since you'd have a lot more kits that'd work.

I'll probably make a new thread tonight showing exactly how to make Shin's out of a Fuji, it'll answer a lot of questions.

Edited by David Hingtgen

My wife has the digital camera tonight... I'll take some shots of the resin seats and cockpit stuff when she gets home.

Can you suggest any good aftermarket data or stencil decals for that Hasegawa F-14A Jolly Rogers kit, the catograph decals are good, but it seems to be lacking in some data markings or are they complete in your view. Particularly its missing the pilots names on the canopy - and I guess I'm just used to all those warnings on the VF-1 and VF-0s :p Doesn't the F-14 have more stencilling than the cartograph decals provide?

1. Aftermarket decals for the 2 most popular F-14 squadrons (Jolly Rogers and Sundowners) are rare and hard to come by in 1/72 because they figure that since half the kits come with them, there's no need for them. They don't seem to realize that even the best kit decals aren't that wonderful! The aftermarket Black Aces Super Hornet decals sold out in a week, even though the next Super Hornet kit has the exact same decals! Of course, they offer LOTS of that sort of stuff in 1/72, but not 1/48. (The #1 F-14 decal company offers all but ONE of their decals in both 1/72 and 1/48---they do not offer 1/72 Jolly Rogers) :p

Anyways, Jolly Rogers Fuji kits come with high-vis Jolly Rogers decals, and lots of stencils. But there is a flaw, they print "NO STEP" as "NOSTEP". Though you probably have some extras somewhere. There were some Superscale 1/72 Jolly Rogers sets, but they've been out of print for a decade.

1B. Rant---1/48 F-14's have like 5x as many decals, you can get ANYTHING. But 1/72 has gaps for even the most famous and desired schemes. :p

2. If there's no names, it means nobody can find out what they were. Common problem--there'll be 50 pics of a neat scheme, but not a one is good enough to read the names.

3. Nobody stencils more than the Japanese. I'm sure a VF-0 or VF-1 has many times more stencils than even the most stenciled US plane. FYI, JASDF F-15's have some 4 or 5 times as many stencils than USAF F-15's. I don't have a set of Cartographs from a new-mold F-14, though I plan to buy kit 0366 soon. So I don't know if there's not enough, etc. Older the plane, the fewer the stencils. (That's been the trend. A 1975 F-14 will have maybe 2 dozen, as opposed to 100 like today)

4. If you want stencils, there's several companies that make F-14 data sheets. The #1 1/72 F-14 decal maker is CAM: http://www.camdecals.com/main.asp?action=72 Set 72-012. I could try to take a pic of my set if you want.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Hey David, this is the Cartograph decal set that comes with 364 - can you tell if there is enough stencilling? I'd love a shot of the CAM data set - they had no pictures of it on their site.

post-3-1083265491_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of the True Details seats - actually my first time taking a good look at them since I recieved in the mail and promptly put them in my F-14 kit box. They aren't too bad especially for 1/72! Unfortunately the harness is the same for both seats.

post-3-1083265608_thumb.jpg

Here's the Verlinden cockpit update set. Very nice tubs, unfortunately, where the pilots legs go to the pedals isn't recessed far enough for my taste. The photo-etched parts are not as crisp or detailed as the hase supplied ones are - the canopy frame is missing those pipes (what are they?) but it does include a few nice access panels and most importantly, the fold down ladder sides with the tiny holes drilled out of them (my reason for this kit). :p It includes the gun bay, I'm not sure if I'll use them since fabricating the access door to scale would be a nightmare. The raised detailling on the panels are excellent though. I was dissappointed that there was no PE of the canopy latch mechanism on the fuselage side - are you aware of any made?

post-3-1083265892_thumb.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison, the darker one is the Verlinden and the lighter one on the right is the True Details. Funny how different they are? Which one should I use (what's your opinion of them?) The Verlinden has those mesh pads over top of the seat cushions, but how do I paint the mesh pattern?

post-3-1083266082_thumb.jpg

Close up of the PE parts from the Verlinden update kit - its dual layered.

Hey a question, I usually use crazy glue for these PE parts, but what do I use on the canopy rails? I want to avoid that fogging crazy glue often gives off, especially evident on clear parts.

post-3-1083266249_thumb.jpg

The other side, I would love that square red decal that goes near the head rest that has the seat and aircraft called out - but haven't found it anywhere yet (at least in 1/72 scale). Boy are things limited in this scale.

post-3-1083266347_thumb.jpg

Have you or anyone else ever used this stuff - it looks neat, it has an interior set (which is the hardest to mask IMHO), and exterior set, so you can paint the interior black and exterior grey (hard in 1/72) plus a slightly undersized set to paint a very thin rubber gasket around all the frames (I don't think I'm that ANAL at this scale - but useful at 1/48!) Plus it includes circular mask for the wheels.

post-3-1083266506_thumb.jpg

1. Canopy masks. Haven't tried yet, but plan to use the ones I bought. (They make ones for the Italeri and Academy F-14's even, but not the Fuji! You can argue Fuji vs Hase all day for "best F-14" but Italeri and Academy are a definite notch below) I need to email eduard etc about makin Fuji canopy masks.

2. Glue. Ever tried Micro Krystal Klear? Though I've never used it on such a long joint. It is almost exactly like white Elmer's school glue. Only thicker. But it dries CLEAR amnd GLOSSY, clearer than most canopies even. Fairly flexible when dry, as glues go. Also, very easy to remove when it's in the "gummy" stage, if you smear some on a canopy.

3. Seats--will have to get back to you on that, will look at my books.

5. Here's the stencil section from my CAM VF-154/VF-101 decals.