Dry Decals

wolfx

Ok....i really really hate dry decals. Some sites say a good way is to use a blunted toothpick, so i spent ages rubbing the damned thing with a toothpick and 15 minutes later, it decided to stay on. But not everything came off the sheet....and some of it got torn off. :angry: (this was practicing on a plastic surface)

Now I want to apply them decals on my 1/100 MG Aile strike....and I am abit afraid of applying them, especially the ones around the Strike Pack which is on a curved surface.

Please dispense advice. Thanks.

I use a pencil...blunted tip...and color it in. Seems simply, but I tape the edges of the decal on (after cleaning the surface) and then color it on...gently and completely. Worked fine on my Gundams..but I have only tried it twice on models.

That worked pretty well. Thanks! ;)

But I had a few accidents with some of them. Like some sticking to my fingers and some came out before i pressed it in, and they got stuck in the selotape....URGH......oh well....

It turned out prettty well despite missing some decals.

Another consideration is the surface that you are mounting the rub-on decal should be gloss painted, or atleast gloss coated for the rub-on to adhere properly. then a proper clear coat should be added after the decal is in place to seal and protect it.

Wow, at least I know now that I'm not the only one who has trouble with these type of decals.

I found out the hard way that you have to cut the one you want to use off the main sheet, otherwise, you'll end up with other decals stuck to the model in a place they were never intended too.

Not to mention the fact that once you cut the one off you need, often it is very, very small because they place them so close together on the sheet, and you have to try to hold it in place while rubbing a blunt object across the surface. That makes it want to move around, and you end up with half the decal in one spot and the rest still on the sheet or somewhere you never intended.

I want to go on record and say that, "I officially hate, detest, and abhor dry rub decals!" :angry:

I just received my MG Wing Gundam Ver.Ka, and it has quite a few of them. I'm not looking forward to that portion of the project. <_<

I'm going to try Jesse's suggestion, and further embarass myself by trying to "tape" the tiny decal in place over what is often a curved surface, and see if the entire thing will stick for once. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Yah, Im just getting around to building my C1 Plus, and I cant figure these dam things out! so basically, you just cut out the one you want, press firmly, and rub with blunt object for period of time, correct?

I use a pencil...blunted tip...and color it in. Seems simply, but I tape the edges of the decal on (after cleaning the surface) and then color it on...gently and completely. Worked fine on my Gundams..but I have only tried it twice on models.

By this you mean the point? hmmm. thats a good idea...

I use a pencil...blunted tip...and color it in.  Seems simply, but I tape the edges of the decal on (after cleaning the surface) and then color it on...gently and completely.  Worked fine on my Gundams..but I have only tried it twice on models.

By this you mean the point? hmmm. thats a good idea...

make sure you cut it out as ChrisB says if other decals are close to it.

yea the dry tranfers can be a bitch to work with but they look real nice, much better than the crappy stickers that bandai gives, you are going to have real fun with the MG Wing Gundam ver KA. some are in places and positions that just plain suck, i had to rearrange a few slightly to make it work for fear of screwing the decal up. i also use a little tape and a pencil , it works very well. the little letters are the worst, i have yet to put my dry transfers on my MG strike gundam.