To be a 1/48 completist...

onions

After dropping some more money on amassing my 1/48 collection, i realized that the Hikaru I bought was a first release without the fixes and my Roy was a second release with the fixes. I asked my dealer if he had any second release Hikaru's and lo and behold, he had one. I bought it but now I'm wondering if I should worry about securing a first release Roy. Being the obsessive compulsive person that I am, I feel like I should get it just to be complete. But OCD aside, is it worth it?

Thoughts? Opinions? Reasons?

Edited by onions

Yeah, me too.

I once felt like there was a need to have the original release Hikaru 1A and Roy 1S.

But, think about what that means. If you're like me and like to keep one loose and one in the box. . . that means 4 of the same toy. . . total of 8 (Hikaru and Roy).

1 1st release 1A Hikaru loose

1 1st release 1A Hikaru mint in box

1 2nd release 1A Hikaru loose

1 2nd release 1A Hikaru mint in box

Now repeat for Roy. We're talking $1000 at this point following my anal-retentive collecting method. Yuck.

Anyways, I have the two of each original release. . . and now I just can't see buying the 2nd release versions without first selling off the mint-in-box 1st releases. I mean, they are essentially the exact same toy except the later ones are better.

As value goes, I just have a hard time believing that the inferior earlier release will ever been in appreciably higher demand (even among completists).

So. . . I'm not positive, but I think you'd probably be able to get away without getting the originals. Take it from a moron like me with the "mint-in-box" sickness. :)

H

Edited by Hurin

i found out from the TMP forums.

dead giveaways are that the second release box flaps have no velcro on the corners and the sculpt for the headrest on the seat is 'scooped out'.

the last bit about the head rests, should be pretty visible if you compare a max with your first release valks.

i don't think the boxes and velcro having anything to do with it....

all my boxes have velcro. :huh:

on the 1S you can tell by the crooked skull print on one of the tail fins, i believe its the one goes over the top. it also has the "nose cone syndrome". it falls off when you're TFing all the time. its not that big of a deal...i take it off all my valks when i TF them....its gonna fall off no matter what. :rolleyes::p

the 1A also has the nose cone syndrome but no crooked skull(i think?). the flaps are loose...they just came that way at the time. :(

i think at some point in the "collecting game, the first releases will be sought after. theres always people that are out there like that and theres nothing wrong with it. its unfortunate a part of collecting....what can you do? B))

my advice is,

if you want one to play with, get the 2nd release its a little more durable so it can take some normal wear and tear....not that i'd do that to my valks. :o

if you just want one to keep MIB get the 1st release that way it'll stay buttery FOREVER! maybe you'll bust it out on special days so you can display it in fighter mode.....only. ;) :lol

The 1st release of the Hikaru 1A had crooked skulls as well. That is definite.

Remember, the 1A came out first. I think the 1S and 1A both had the crooked skulls because they used rear stabilizers from the same production/painting run. But that's conjecture.

I think that the question really is about what things will distinguish 1sts and 2nd release valks without opening the box.

So far, the only sure-fire way I know of is to check the seat headrest. Velcro tabs isn't 100% indicative from what I've read.

Somewhere in here are pictures of the differences between the headrests.

Best Regards,

H

As value goes, I just have a hard time believing that the inferior earlier release will ever been in appreciably higher demand (even among completists).

Actually, the 1st issue YF-19 is worth more than the improved second issues, in part because the production run was lower.

gack!

Whatever's wrong with you... please don't let it spread to me!

Seriously. That is just silly. The only difference is mistakes. The Second Version is a total upgrade from V.1 I doubt in years to come anyone would want version one... if they were aware at all that there were two different versions.

Enjoy what you got. Go spend that money on a loved one or lap dances or something useful. ;)

seriously....

unless you are totally wacked out about collecting EVERY version of EVERY toy (and have the money), I'd say just stick with the 2nd editions. Personally I'd actually sell the 1st edition hikaru.

It's not like any of the editions are limited or special. It's just the 2nd editions fix whatever problems that plagued the first batch of 1/48.... theyre not even considered "2nd editions" per say.... theyre just reissues. Same box, same everything but the updates.

Get used to it... yamato does this a lot. They neglect some obvious flaws the first try then only to fix it up later.... EVERY scale in Yamato's macross line has mistakes in the first release with fixer uppers later on....

EDIT: typo

Edited by Nani?!

Actually, the 1st issue YF-19 is worth more than the improved second issues, in part because the production run was lower.

not true.

where did you get that? :blink:

As long as it's in the box, they go for the same price.

out of box, the second edition sells for more.

Well I can see it both ways.

1. To be a "true" completist you need to have one each of all varients, so yes you should get the extra one. Being a completist isn't cheap. Theres a guy over at TFW2005 that has literally hundreds of MIB Optimus Primes (Elvin Prime). :blink: :blink: He has the Spanish box, the Milton Bradley box, the Hasbo box, the Pepsi Prime,etc ......... He is a true completionist. That and I have to imagine he is filthy stinking rich :lol::lol::lol:

2. On the other side, you aren't really getting anything different, just a fixed varient. Save the cash and forget the dreams of true completionism (did I just make that word up?)

Personally, if you got the scrap ($) and want to go for the completionist idea for 1/48, I say go for it! If you ever get tired of being a completionist later you could always sell off the "extra" varients from your collection.

Edited by joke-machine

if you have the money by all means do whatever you want with it

as the saying goes,"If you have a problem money can solve, you have no problem at all!!!!!!"

J.J.

not true.

I do now know if the run was cut short but some of the retail stores on the net have the first one for alot more.

http://www.tisinc99.com/macplusyftra1.html

http://www.tisinc99.com/macplusyftra2.html

http://www.epopy.com/macross/macross_index.html

not true.

I do now know if the run was cut short but some of the retail stores on the net have the first one for alot more.

Etailers are a bad place to gauge the value of a toy.

the thing is though, the value of these things are really determined by demand at a point in time. Neither of the 1st or 2nd edition have sold particularly better. People pick these up if the price is right. Personally given the choices, I'd take 2nd edition hands down without second thought... I'd surmise many more feel the same way...

second editions for yamato are just patched up toys.

not true.

Etailers are a bad place to gauge the value of a toy.

the thing is though, the value of these things are really determined by demand at a point in time. Neither of the 1st or 2nd edition have sold particularly better. People pick these up if the price is right. Personally given the choices, I'd take 2nd edition hands down without second thought... I'd surmise many more feel the same way...

second editions for yamato are just patched up toys.

I know the first issue YF-19's are worth more because I lived through the whole craze that was sparked when Yamato issued the revised versions. I had 2 first issues and thought they were pieces of crap. I was glad to unload them for over 3x retail each. The second issues were still going for retail at the same time.

hi to everybody...I´m new here....

I just wanted to know if someone could post pictures of the differences between the headrests on 1st and 2nd version,´cause I wanna be sure which one I´m buying...I want the Roy 1S 2nd version.That´s the improved one,right?

Thanx