Half Priced MG kits at Toys R US

Just to let everybody know, TRU has finally lowered their unrealistic prices on MG kits! At least at one particular TRU in Charlotte, haven't checked anywear else. I picked up the Gundam Alex for $25, but they also had the RX-79G for $25 and the GP-02 for $50. Let me know if anybody finds the same deals elsewhere in case I need to stock up now :)

Bandai America thinks that by slapping the kits in fugly boxes with English outside but no English translated manual inside is "adding value" worth of twice the original price.

I haven't seen a MG kit at local TRUs for about a year. That must have been an inventory clearance meant to get rid of stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for far too long.

i've only seen about 3 MG kits total in all the TRUs i've ever been in. not three in each, just 3. if they actually priced these things close to the japanese retail price or lower, and stocked them, they might actually sell.

No thanks.... I'll get mine from Gundamshop.com, or somewhere else on the web, or from you guys! HA! :D

hmm, i think i'm still going to go with HLJ on this one. they list the MG GP02a at 4000 yen, or about $38.00. plus their estimated shipping costs (i'm going with the cheaper, slower SAL) its 5,800 yen or about $55.00. TRU is selling the cromed version for $49.99 (which is a steal, but the chrome will chip if you breathe on it wrong), but the regular GP02a will run you $69.99. as for the MG RX-78 they're listing at $39.99 with free shipping, HLJ will send it to you for about $39.71, including SAL shipping. HLJ will save you 8 dollars and change for the MG GP01 FB $49.99 versus $40.65, SAL shipping included. the MG RX-79 at TRU is also $49.99 with free shipping, with HLJ shipping it to you for $38.76. their price on the MG Alex is good, especially with the free shipping, but the US kits have really crappy altered boxart in comparison with the original release, and the "translated" manual is really just a second copy of the build instructions with english in a couple spots. but the original set of instructions is vitually text free, you don't have to know a single bit of japanese to put the kit together. its just not worth it, and i'd rather not support bandai america if they're going to overcharge me for what comes off as an inferior version. its supposed to be cheaper to get the US version, thanks to the inflated japanese economy and cost of living.

and that's it, TRU.com lists only 6 MG kits, two of which are on sale, and possibly worth it. HLJ lists every MG ever made. neither has all of them in stock, but HLJ has most of their listed kits in stock, and has dates for when most of the rest will be in stock. TRU has 3 of the 6 in stock, with no dates listed. granted this is just HLJ, there are other sites and stores out there selling the japanese kits too.