What color paint matches the low viz grey?

hirohawa

I did some painting on my old low vis and found that I could not find an off the shelf paint color that matched the shade of the low vis plastic... mainly due to the subtle hue and specular properties that plastic had. I got close by mixing some paints of various shades of grey but when applied it did not match the properies of the plastic and it sort of clashed to a degree. I'd say if you are doing a total paint up of that part then don't worry about the exact shade, just get it close as you can as it is mainly hidden by the head anyway. Either that or hit it with some sort of a dark wash like the "weathering" on the toy to hide the shade difference a bit.

Then again I can't paint models to save my life so listening to me may get you in more trouble than it is worth. :blink:

If you want contrast, real-life touchups/patches, or just want a good place to start looking for shades to mix, etc, the FS colors used for low-vis fighters in the real world are:

F-14: A three-tone pattern of 36375, 36320, and 35237, or just two of those (usually omittiing 35237), or sometimes overall 36231 or more often overall 36440.

F-15: 36375 and 36320 (1980's), or 36251 and 36176 (1990's+).

F-16: Mainly 36118 with 36375 and a touch of 36320, or replace the 36375 with 36320 (more common lately).

F-18: 36375 and 36320, or 36495 all over.

If there's one color that defines low-vis, it's 36375. (Light Ghost Grey). (Yes, we aircraft modelers live and breathe FS numbers for paint)

And the other option is 36118 all over, for the B-1, B-2, F-15E, F-111, etc.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I painted Rohby's recast hands for my Low -Vis using Orchard Supplies primer grey. Then i spayed a gloss clear coat on it. I tried gun metal grey, too dark..this is kinda of light though but close.

to177

post-4-1080889400_thumb.jpg

Edited by to177

well the hands (as far as i know) are always portrayed in the show as white. so makeing them a llighter grey than the rest of the plane probably won't matter, remember, in most cases they will be in close contact with the WHITE gun pod, any subtle diffrences won't be too noticeable next to that kind of contrast.

i just left my hands white on my low viz, i'm cool with that. they look good to me.