Some Powered Armor

This is turning out to be a cool thread. I have a bunch of questions about the wacom also. Mostly about the inking process. Anoterh MW member has been giving me tips that has really helped but it's always great to get different techniques to suit your own. Unfortunately my harddrive crashed and I'm trying to recover the files that I've been working on.

Sithlord. I saw your nice setup in one of the pics. I was trying to figure out if you were a draftsman or a comic book artist. I shoulda just dropped you a line ;). Let me know if you get that airbrush and how it turns out.

post those pics back up in RGB, LSB!

Thank you all, guys. I'm so grateful for the feedback. Helps me to improve my work.

Ok, here's some answers (I live in Mexico city, so my working hours era different from most of you).

I've always wondered about exposed ammo belts. If that thing gets cut wouldn't you be screwed?

You bet! On a recent model I designed an flexible cover for the ammo to reduce that possibility. Ideally, the ammo should be concealed inside the arm to prevent the possibility that the belt gets cut on a battle, but this babies move so fast that it is unlikely that an enemy mecha get the chance to do that. Besides it looks more bad ass this way.

that Head kind reminds me of briareos from appleseed BTW is it just me or does the human in the foreground look alot like Anakin skywalker?

Surprisingly I don't like Briareos head that much, but lots of Masamune-Sama designs look similar from each other, so I'm not surprised if the head resembles Briareos to you. The character in the foreground was "inpired" on River Phoenix, 'cause in my mind it looked like the main character in my story. I often use real life people likenesses for my character designs. :ph34r:

Yessss! You guys rule! I had no idea of this RGB-CMYK-Microsoft-Mac-Explorer thing.

Last week I finaly purchased a Watcom graphics tablet...It's not quite as easy to use as I had hoped  ... but at somepoint I hope to draw as well with it as I can on paper 

Oh, you will, believe me. A colleague of mine, who happens to be a kick ass comic artist has changed his blue pencil for a Wacom for good. I'm not that good yet, but the Wacom handles pretty naturally. Feels kind of strange at the beginning, but after a day or two, you won't touch a mouse anymore.

That is freakin' cool. Just rename it and go for a theme. You could base a tactical game off of your designs. I think some resin kits of your stuff might actually do well.

May Bandai almighty hear you. There IS a story behind this designs, and I hope to see them move on the screen some day soon as a movie, and then who knows?

WOW! There are lots of excellent works here.

I too have a Wacom tablet, but I find it a little too rigid when it comes to drawing... I dunno... maybe it just didn't feel as good as the old pencil. Maybe I have yet to "break" this horse. I do occasionally use it though, when applying "airbrush" in Photoshop - but that's all, so I still use the old mouse alot; especially when I do my vector artworks.

This is indeed a cool thread. Hope to see more fellas. Please keep it up! B))

Here is another one of my pics...done about 3 years ago, IIRC....a steampunk underwater mecha/huge powersuit thingy for a story I've been developing that is sort of a mix between Blue Submarine No.6 and the old Garry Anderson Stingray show :D

CG coloring with a mouse in Corel Photopaint :p (I don't have Photoshop)...not exactly my best work ;) but something about this is still appealing to me...

For characters my main influences are Peter Chung (Aeon Flux fame), Don Bluth (Dragons Lair, Space Ace, etc), Masami Obarii (Fatal Fury, etc..) and Nagano (L-Gaim, Five Star Stories)...for mecha it's again Nagano and Obarii, with a huge dose of Kazami Fujita (the "hyper" Zeta Gundam, the mecha for the PSX game QUOVADIS, etc..)

Haven't tried an airbrush with my Watcom...still trying to master that "hand eye cordination" to draw on the tablet while watching the screen, it does work tons better and faster then a mouse...but still doesn't feel natural yet :p

post-26-1080935908_thumb.jpg

Can somebody please post a few pics of the QUO VADIS videogame? I've gone nuts searching the internet for some mecha imges and nothing!

here are some B&W images of discontinued resin model kits of some of the mecha (I have these first two kits but not the third):

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?WAVKV-01

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?WAVKV-02

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?WAVKV-03

There were a few other kits..most of them could be seen in the pages of late 90's (98-99, IIRC) issues of Hobby Japan and the like...

Yessss! You guys rule! I had no idea of this RGB-CMYK-Microsoft-Mac-Explorer thing.
Last week I finaly purchased a Watcom graphics tablet...It's not quite as easy to use as I had hoped  ... but at somepoint I hope to draw as well with it as I can on paper 

Oh, you will, believe me. A colleague of mine, who happens to be a kick ass comic artist has changed his blue pencil for a Wacom for good. I'm not that good yet, but the Wacom handles pretty naturally. Feels kind of strange at the beginning, but after a day or two, you won't touch a mouse anymore.

I've tried drawing with just the tablet, but I preffer the feel of pencil on paper. The tablet's for post scan clean up and coloring, for me.

It really comes down to a matter of preference, I guess.

here are some B&W images of discontinued resin model kits of some of the mecha (I have these first two kits but not the third):

Lucky you! I love those designs. Is the mecha style I'm tryng to achieve. On the link it reads that the company went bankrupt and no one knows anything about the rights. Too bad, I would give anything for an art book. The same happened to me with The Dark Crystal movie for years. Oh, well, thanks for the pics MSW, that's probably the only images I'm ever gonna own of QUO VADIS.

I've tried drawing with just the tablet, but I preffer the feel of pencil on paper. The tablet's for post scan clean up and coloring, for me.

It really comes down to a matter of preference, I guess.

I feel the same.

BTW LSB Is your animated flick gonna be your doing or are you hiring an animation house to do it?

I wish! No, in my case the animation look is because I love the style in comic books. I had a few meetings with a local production company, rearding the possibility of doing a short animated feature but I'm still skeptical about it.