stickers: to apply or not to apply?

onions

hello everyone. i'm a relative noob to the mw forums. i think i might have posted just once in the old forums asking what the difference between valkyrie and veritech was.

anyways, my love for macross has recently been rekindled. i just dropped a few hundred dollars on getting almost all of the yamato 1/48's. the low visibility is now considered my holy grail. i have yet to open any of them and i figure this would be a great opportunity to do things right the first time.

stickers: should i apply them or not? i hate using stickers because inevitably the glue will deteriorate, lose its hold, and then start to peel away. that's been my experience with most stickered toys and wanted to know what everyone's sentiment is on applying the stickers. is there a decal sheet out there that i can maybe put on instead? model decals hold forever....

anyways, thanks for listening and i look forward to reading your responses.

Well...

I just got my first 1/48 and bought a set of Takatoys stickers to go with it. I've been applying those instead of the originals that came with it.

Advantages are they're better than the originals and this lets me keep the originals on the sheet.

Disadvantages, you have to cut them out yourself...

Both Valkyrie Exchange (www.valkyrie-exchange.com) and Twin Moons (www.tmpanime.com) sell them... I'd recommend them.

Get the takatoys. completely worth the money.

One sheet will sticker up two valks, my experience and experience of other posters as well.

Plus, the type and colours are much sharper on the takatoys.

Anasazi also has custome decals and stickers, haven't used them but customizers like WM cheng use them.

Don't worry about cutting either, a good straight edge and a sharp x-acto will work fine, besides, the flashing on the stock stickers is so large you'd have to cut them anyways.

There are a couple of fans here who make these, I forget their names off the top of my head, but one makes stickers (considered to be better than the Yamatos due to the fact that they are made of thinner material, more like the old Takatoku style,) and another that makes water decals (I think he makes the standard ones, as well as sets for customizing...) I've been meaning to pick these up, but I seem to keep blowing my cash on toys as I collect retro, and new stuff (basically I'm a mecha whore.) Wise decision to post this question at this juncture, by the way. And welcome to the boards. :)

Edit: Looks like Takatoys and Anasazi were the ones I was thinking of, Eugimon and RT Shark beat me to the punch!!!

Edited by warrhead

onions? like onions from fbtb?

to your question,

i don't apply the stickers that come with the valks. as you mentioned they just peel and start to fall off and unfortunately yamato makes the worst stickers in the world. :lol:

as someone mention get the takatoys stickers, go nuts and save the originals if you plan to sell them one day. a complete, un-used, original sticker sheet will only increase the value of your valks. :)

didn't someone used to offer waterslide decals???

*whoops*

i gotta learn to read. :p "Anasazi" is the man with the waterslide decals. B)) shoot him a PM and i'm sure he'll hook you up with the goods.

Edited by haterist

It's funny you bring this up.

I had my 1/48 for a month. The other day I decided to apply stickers (I only applied ones that mattered the most... not all)..

Anyway, I didn't use my originals, either. I used the Kata-toys ones. Man, they're really cool.

They're not as thick and shiney as the cheapo's that it comes with. They stick better (even in rounded places they curl). If you press hard enough they get into the cracks and gel well with the plastic on the toy (not as good as decals, but pretty damn good). They're VERY worth the prices. Besides, just like someone mentioned, it comes with enough to dress up a few valks.

Cutting them out is no big deal. X-acto blades work great and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. (of course, this is coming from a non-model builder)...

IMHO,

it makes a world of difference. I bought Anasazi's waterslide stickers and a bottle of Micro sol setting solution with my first 1/48. It takes a while to cut them out and apply them at the right places, but once you got them all on, it's becomes a work of art. It took me 3 days to decal up my 1/48 and it's fastpacks and panel line them. But it's worth the effort and extra 20 or so bucks.

Go for it man... Anasazi's decals are sold in Twin moons, and you can find a bottle of micro sol in any hobby site or store.

awesome tips guys. thanks! looks like i did the right thing and asked first. i'll have to look into both the takatoys stickers and anasazi water decals. has there been any threads or articles on the best way to apply? i'm thinking a nice set of fine tweezers and a new x-acto blade are musts. any other tips?

apu, if you must know, i dropped $660 on all the 1/48's including the super and strike parts set. still need a low-vizzle.

haterist, yep, that would be me. and you are...?

i had a feeling it was you. :D

you're the only person i know with the S/N "onions".....and it makes me laugh whenever i see your name...like how the heck did this guy come up with onions? :lol: and the spidey avatar on top of that! :p

i'd tell you who i am but that would take all the fun out of this now wouldn't it. :p:lol:

heres a clue, i'm a long time member that doesn't like to be bothered or disturbed. :unsure:

i'm sure you know who i am now, either way i'm glad to see you found your way to MW....this is my "other" favorite site. :blink:

awesome tips guys. thanks! looks like i did the right thing and asked first. i'll have to look into both the takatoys stickers and anasazi water decals. has there been any threads or articles on the best way to apply? i'm thinking a nice set of fine tweezers and a new x-acto blade are musts. any other tips?

apu, if you must know, i dropped $660 on all the 1/48's including the super and strike parts set. still need a low-vizzle.

go to Twin moons

they have a page dedicated to applying water slide decals.

material you need basically are:

-xacto knife w/ extra set of blades (just in case)

-qtips

-Micro Sol setting solution. A MUST!!! Some people suggest Micro Set, but I tried both and I prefer the strength of Micro sol, It really makes the decal look almost like paint.

-small flat up to an 1" deep tray for room temp water.

-a thin tip brush (I used a good quality water color brush)

-tweezers

-patience and extra care

Application directions should be on Twin moons site...

onions? like onions from fbtb?

What's fbtb?

wouldn't you like to know. :p:p:p:lol:

its the official star wars lego website. www.fbtb.net (from bricks to bothans)

if you like SW and you like lego, thats where its at! B)) but be warned its a "kid-friendly" site so if you use the language that we use here, you'd get banned in an instant....i got banned just for looking funny. :blink::lol:

now why do you have to go spreading lies like that?

it's an UN-official site. we're in no way affiliated with LEGO or Lucasfilm.

haterist got banned for being an ass once, but we're nice. we let him back in to play in our sandbox ;)

suweet!! I dig the SW lego sets, although I haven't been collecting the newer ones for quite some time... (Still annoyed that I didn't snatch up a Millenium Falcon grrrrrr!!!) My Lego collection is pretty extensive though (although I generally use the sets as parts for original mech designs and a few Orguss inspired ones as well...) Don't flame me though, as I also use Mega Blocks sets for their detented joints, military green and Navy blue pieces... Cool site!!!