Filling In Panel Lines

Edveen

Hi all.

I just got a Yamato 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J with Fast packs. The model is great but I am not very pleased with the pure white plastic.

I have ordered Takatoys stickers to replace the originals.

I notice that people are filling in the panel lines. Which makes the valkyrie look better (in my opinion). I was thinking about using a light to medium grey color to give it a metallic look. But should the color not look good Ill go with dark grey or black.

What do you use to fill them? Should you fill in the panels with paint over them? Anything I should be wary of before I fill them in?

Thanks

Ed

You want a panel line pen. It's just a very fine tipped paint pen, made specificaly for picking out panel lines on models. A lot of the people here seem to use something called a "Gundam marker" or "Gundam pen." As I understand it, it' just a panel line pen sold with the Gundam branding on it, for people making Gundam models. Dark gray is a good choice. Black panel lines to jump out at you, and destroy the effect.

If you eant to try a bit more involved approach, you could try using pencil lead. You'd have to put some kind of clear coat over it, to keep it from rubbing off, but you'd be able to fairly easily streak it for a more distressed look.

You want a panel line pen. It's just a very fine tipped paint pen, made specificaly for picking out panel lines on models. A lot of the people here seem to use something called a "Gundam marker" or "Gundam pen." As I understand it, it' just a panel line pen sold with the Gundam branding on it, for people making Gundam models. Dark gray is a good choice. Black panel lines to jump out at you, and destroy the effect.

If you eant to try a bit more involved approach, you could try using pencil lead. You'd have to put some kind of clear coat over it, to keep it from rubbing off, but you'd be able to fairly easily streak it for a more distressed look.

I've tried both the Gundam marker and pencil, and I think both look good. The pencil is advantageous, because it does come off easily if you think you've made the lines too dark. Oh yeah, if you want to know about the oil wash method, check out the modeling or How to customize Macross Models forums; panel line questions appear often along with good advice.

I've been using Gundam Markers for a while now, and they've given me excellent results. Just be sure to use the gray color (black will be far too dark), and resist the urge to re-fill your lines. One stroke through the panel line, and leave it be. Subtlety is what you're going for.

Lots of folks around here swear by Micron (sp?) pens as well, which you can pick up at just about any art supply store.

Might I also suggest using after-market stickers from Takatoys or Anasazi as well (if you aren't already)? If you're going to dress up your valk, these REALLY make a big difference.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

There was a comment on another thread to use a qtip/paper towel soaked in windex/rubbing alcohol to give a weathering effect with panel line pens. Will I need a clear coat after im done? What kind of clear coat should be used? And last, should I mark over the paint when applying the panel line pen?

Im also intrested on giving the plane a little more greyish look, but not to much, only a little. Im hoping the weathering effect will take care of that. Please give input on this.

Ill goto an Art supply store soon and buy everything including the panel line pens and whatever else I may need.

Thanks Again

Ed

Edited by Edveen

Intresting.

Im guessing a .5mm works best Druna Skass? Thanks for the input.

Ed

Well I with my 1/60s I found even the .5mm to be too thick, I'm not sure if that's the case with the 1/48 but if it is, it's nothing more than a nuisance, you'll just need to rub the pencil on some paper to sharpen the tip.

Here's an Elint I used a number 2 pencil on.

I've used the Micron pen too. My only complaint was it was to dark for my tastes.

Blah. Can't really see anything in that pic.

post-4-1078695635_thumb.jpg

Edited by scand