What do you love about Macross?

APU

I am also facinated by the engineering that goes into the toys.... For something that complex to come together and make a figure that is freaking cool looking, and also maintain very realistic articulation...

I never did collect the toys from a long time ago... They have their purpose now, but I'm just REALLY happy that all of these are being reproduced with todays technology... they may not be as sturdy as the vintage stuff, but they look a helluva lot better... If appearance is what you are after as opposed to playability.

I too am mostly fascinated by the engineering that goes behind these transforming toys. To make this perfect plane shape turn into this perfectly proportionate and realistic humanoid fighting machine is amazing to me. Human ingeniosity never ceases to amaze me and that's why I also collect automatic watches cause the mechanism is sooo complex and requires no batteries.

The shows were good then, by today's standards I think they now lack finesse. I am quite happy that Macross Plus and Macross Zero came out because I feel they give back the letters of nobless to the Macross brand.

the toys are about 1000 times better than anything out or thats probably gonna come out. yamato will only out do itself cause i really don't see another company that going to compete with them. even if yamato does a half-ass job, its not going to be nearly as crappy as something that toynami releases.

i too was/am fascinated by a plane that transforms into a robot. i guess that why i collected trasnformers when i was little but now, i'm just a valk-o-holic....

so it a nutshell,

i like macross basically cause, i hate everything about robotech and robotech toys. :D

I love the f-14. I have been a big fan of it. I am sad to see it go. It was one the reasons why I love the VF-1. I am simply amazed how Yamato can make the VF-1 so perfect. Perfect meaning the airframe and transformation. Not to mention the detail and such. It is just a piece of Engineering art! Ok, I am a degree engineer. :D

The reason I like Macross as Shoji Kawamori once said is that "every valk I design for the anime can be modelled into a toy as well."

There are many Transformers toys that does not resemble their anime counterpart.

I would say Gundam also does the job very well, nearly every Gundam design can be modelled accurately as a toy.

I love fighter jets.

I love japanese mecha.

Two of my favorite things in the world.

Combine them and what do you get?

MACROSS! :lol:

It's crazy how much detail they put into designing these things. They make something relatively impractical in the real world almost into something we can imagine being totally possible. That's the beauty of it I think...

Gundams are ok too, but some of them look fruity.

i love that the valks were designed to fight something other than large robots piloted by other humans.

i love that the design of the valk is so good that relatively un modified it can be turned into an action figure that transforms just like the show.

VF-1 VF-1 VF-1 VF-1!!!!!!!!

J.J.

they are better than all the other crap availible. Besides some g1's [can we say jetfire boys and girls?] There have been few toys I actually enjoy since my childhood. I don't know why but it seems the transforming robots look less like robots and nobody knows how to make a decent toy now-a-days. Sure yamato makes quality stuff but I simply can't consider anything that cost's over $50 a toy... it's a collectible. While I am still working on my spawn collection, I don't consider them toys either... more mini sculputers as if you try to play with them :( .

I like how they transform and maintain size.

Transformers was cool for me back then, but then you see stuff, like Astrotrain who's the same size as everyone else, transform into a spaceshuttle that can hold all the decepticons. :/

Dreamwave's "more than meets the eye" issue #8 explains why a Transformer can do this ;)