Anime Poster Art

areaseven

apacover.jpg

Anime Poster Art: Japan's Movie House Masterpieces

DH Publishing, Inc./Cocoro Books, 2003

Introduction by Patrick Macias (TokyoScope: The Japanese Cult Film Companion)

112 pages; US$19.95

Some images may contain graphic violence and nudity.

For years, Japanese animation has become part of today's popular culture. But while everyone talks about story, animation quality and characters, has anyone talked about the artwork used to promote their favorite titles?

This is where Anime Poster Art steps in. The full-color softcover book covers over 160 promo flyers and movie posters for different types of anime, from cult classics such as Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman and Lupin III, to recent releases like Steam Boy and RahXephon Tagen Hensoukyoku, to Studio Ghibli favorites like NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind and Spirited Away. The book gives detailed information on each title and translations of their tag lines.

Whether you're a hardcore otaku or just starting to pick up anime as a hobby, you must pick up Anime Poster Art. It's an excellent coffee table book and a perfect conversational piece.

Rating: A

BTW, I'm taking requests for poster art scans. Tell me which posters you want to see.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review A7! The Street Fighter movie is probably one of the DVD's that I've been looking for (the longest time).....I hate the Stateside release and only want the Region 2 release (w/ subs). :p

NICE posters. :D

What was wrong with the US release on DVD?? All I really remember is the Chun-Li Shower Scene and Bison with a Mack Truck

1. The Chun-Li shower scene was edited out on both PG-13 and Unrated versions of the U.S. release.

2. Tetsuya Komuro's excellent soundtrack was replaced by horrible alternative/grunge music that had absolutely no place in the movie.

3. U.S. version on laserdisc and DVD looks grainy compared to a VHS copy of the Japanese version.

4. The voice acting wasn't bad, but still disappointing.

5. DVD has no extras. As a matter of fact, it has no menu; DVD player stops at the end of the movie.