Can you recommend me a good playstation 2 emulator

Blitzwing

What about the pcsx2 ?

I'm sorry, I thought by good you meant "can actually play games". Or even "runs at a half-decent speed on my computer".

PS2 emulation is so early on that nothing works right.

Even PS1 emulation still has a long way to go to what I'd consider good.

I'm one the same page man, sold my ps2 and trying to resist regreting it. I hope something comes out by the time mgs3 is out. BTW, How much ram do you need to run a ps2 disc. From what i've heard, its an insane amount.

The PS2 has 32 megabytes of RAM in it. That's your lower limit. In practice, you'll have to add a few meg for the emulator code and BIOS ROM image(which I assume is loaded into RAM at all times for similarly quick access to what you'd see with a real ROM in a real system). Say 40-42 meg plus the overhead from other tasks(like your OS).

This is only insane relative to other console emulators. As far as PC games go, it's positively tame.

Edit: accidentally used Dreamcast RAM totals a minute ago...

Edited by JB0

that dosn't seem bad at all. I was thinking, consoles don't have the game installed-they just play play em. I just though that loading something from a dvd drive would suck lotss of ram for some reason. Once i got my emulator, hopefully there will be something out there for a control. I know x-box already has something for the computer because the controller is usb. Would any of you know if ps2 is usb or firewire, as well.

ty

that dosn't seem bad at all. I was thinking, consoles don't have the game installed-they just play play em. I just though that loading something from a dvd drive would suck lotss of ram for some reason. Once i got my emulator, hopefully there will be something out there for a control. I know x-box already has something for the computer because the controller is usb. Would any of you know if ps2 is usb or firewire, as well.

ty

The killer is really CPU power, not RAM.

The game is either read straight out of the CD/DVD drive, just like a real console(and older PC games) or off the hard drive.

Not really enough RAM in PCs for loading hte whole disk image into RAM, even with CDs. Or a good reason, given the slow access speed of the disks.

And PS2 pads use a proprietary serial format.

Though soem companies DO sell USB adapters...

The problem is, PS2 uses a 64bit central proc (if I remember correctly), while home PCs only utilize 32 bit code. Even for us with 64 bit chips, we'd need a corresponding 64 bit OS.

PS2 is the only machine on the market with a 128-bit CPU.

Not that it matters. It's emulated anyways. You could do it with an 8-bit processor(though it'd be VERY slow).

But the PS2 is a pain in the butt to emulate. The hardware's powerful and complex(as opposed to merely powerful like hte Dc and GameCube, which both use 64-bit processors).