HOW CAN I SCULPTURE A FUSELAGE?

sktchrtst2002

Frist thing you need is a "Blue-print". Or Line-Art. Preferably top view, side view front view and bottom, in the appropraite scale. You will need several copies.

Go to your local Hobby Store and by varied thicknesses of styrene, double-sided tape, and modelling putty.

I always start with the "Top-View" frist. Cut out the outline of the part you want to scult. Tape or glue it a sheet of styrene. Or you can trace the outline using a pencil onto the styrene. Make sure that the outline is a few mm under the scale you want. This gives you room for applying the putty. Cut out the out-line with a hobby knife. Repeat until the desired thickness is achieved.

Then do the side in the same manner. This time you are going to do the shaping and shouldn't need to apply any more styrene. Basicaly shape it to the outline of the line art. By this time you should have 2 formats, Top and Side.

Next is the front. Shaping. Don't worry about making too many mistakes. You can cover up most mistakes with putty.

Apply the putty liberally over the entire pieces. Do not worry about the fine detail lines becasue it is done last. After you have applied the putty wait for awhile to let it set. Next your are going to do more "shaping" almost as the putty is completely dry. This is a guessing game. Use a sculting knife to remove un-wanted putty. Be careful not to take too much off. When it is at the closest shape of the finished look, allow the putty to completly dry. If you have made mistakes re-apply putty in the needed areas.

Next is sanding. use maybe a 600 grain sandpaper and work you way up to 1000 grain until it is smooth.

After you have finished sanding you can add the panel lines. Basically draw them on with a pencil and the use a hobby knife or drimmel tool to etch them out.

Sorry if this is brief, but it is the general idea. If someone has more to add or if I left something out feel free to add.

Hope this helps.

Rob MN

Hey sketch, nice to see you here! :lol:

MN pretty much hit the nail on this one. Another approach would be to shape the inner part of the fuselage in foil. Like he said make sure you have a blue print and line art that is to scale with what you are trying to build. The foil should be a lot smaller than the actual product you're trying to sculpt. Then use the putty or sculpy to bring up the thickness and the shape. If you choose to go with sculpy, use the pink type. I think that's Sculpey 2. I use a heat gun to harden the sculpey, be careful not to burn it. You can use steel wool or sandpaper to smoothen out sculpey at the end.

It's dead in the water. I want to restart it and have a friend cast up parts in brass for me. But who know how well that will turn out. I intend to start over and make the shells out of vaccuum formed styrene sheet. It really is much stronger and easier to work with than those brittle epoxie putty shells.

I use several templates that you can buy from HLJ. Look under the Hasegawa Tritools section. The best scribing tool I have used is a shortened sewing needle. I like it better than an X-acto blade because it works in circular motions as well as in a straight line.