Words!

Galaxy_Stranger

I've been purchasing a lot of modeling supplies off of Amazon lately. Many of them just happen to be shipped from Japan and Hong Kong.

My favorite packages are from these shops that come back with a note in the package thanking me for the order and mentioning the added gift of some shrimp hard candy or somesuch, (which I don't have the nerve to try), saying it was added as a gift from their little girl who is sitting next to them working at the shop.

The notes in themselves are a source of great comedy as their English tends to be lacking - while still better than sub translations from the 80's!

But my favorite came in today - I got a package of some Tamiya Cement with the orange cap. Thought I'd pick it up to try it out. 5 bucks is 5 bucks. I noticed on the customs declaration label, the description: "Tamiya Plastic Model Parts (No, Battelly)"

I had ZERO idea that the Japanese are taught to spell these words Phonetically!

I have a buddy that bought some kits from a company in China, they came with a "bonus".... it was a half a horse miniature, half a wargame human miniature and a plastic gun that looked like it came from a transformer and in the package with a little strip of paper like you'd find in a fortune cookie that said "Scpeial Bonus Customer #1!" Dear god we laughed for an hour. He gave me the baggie, I need to build something out of it to honor the experience.

hehe! free gifts with stuff I have bought from China & Hong Kong have been plastic tooth pics, a miniature packet of playing cards which weren't even a full set, a set of plastic valve caps (this was a motorcycle related purchase), something that resembled a tassel and the most popular free bonus gift items are pens! some of which don't even work! There have been many other bits & pieces but yeah mostly all completely useless stuff.. :rolleyes:

Yep, sellers from Asia seems to be the only ones that really include 'gifts'. I've had strange snacks or even small cloths from Japan but never tried them as they do not appeal to me. I've had a few useful items such as nice pens or key chains from North American sellers.

Now with regards to comments from the sellers it happens all of the time, especially if you are a repeat customer, and its not just limited to Asia. A lot of times sellers want to include a message in the buyer's native language expressing their appreciation and it just may not translate or spell out well. That said, if you are not sure of how to write the message do not include one. I ship an average of 30 items a month all over the world and I save my buyers and myself the embarrassment by not including any messages :p

All of that is funny! I'm keeping my mouth shut though! I have worked on learning Japanese (Katakana), Vietnamese, Italian and even some Icelandic words from friends. I find I'm still having problems with my native English :p

The cool part is that people from other nations want to test or use what language knowledge they have on you. I have been in public places overseas and when people hear your American, you find yourself surrounded. Of course the tough (and funny part) is that "L" and "R" always seem to get reversed with Japanese into English. Just like Russians swapping "W" with "V."

I have had some cool stuff though from past orders, all from America. I've gotten a free Robotech T-shirt, various stickers, thank you notes and even free small model kits! - MT