VF-1 Shapeways replacement shoulder hinges: fitment

technoblue

One of my older v2 1/60 VF-1 Valkyries has succumbed to the well-documented blown shoulder issue. :( It was very easy to break down, though, and remove the affected parts to modify the pin and make it "safe" again.

I bought some shapeways replacement parts, but I am running into some surprising fitment issues. My original order used white strong & flexible polished nylon plastic. Here's what I'm seeing:

This angle shot shows how the shapeways pieces do not sit flush:

post-5492-0-95318800-1408459978_thumb.png

Here is a shot from above next to the old cracked hinge:

post-5492-0-06904800-1408460030_thumb.png

This shot shows the shapeways piece with the pin

post-5492-0-63216300-1408460101_thumb.png

I was wondering, is this within the normal margin of error? Or might it be due to the polished material? My whole order arrived this way, so I was going to try sanding the flats to try and get a better fit. But the extra thickness of material at the hinge concerns me. I may end up placing another order and skip the polished nylon plastic.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks, CoreyD.

I"m relieved that I didn't miss anything obvious.

Update: It looks like I don't have to sand the pieces flat. :D I broke down another Valkyrie at lunch to take a look at the working mechanism. And joy! The good VF-1 shows an angle when the arms are set in fighter mode:

post-5492-0-37032600-1408471959_thumb.png

Then the shapeways replacements have this angle built in? That's some clever engineering. I do still need to sand a little bit, though, because the ball joint is a little large on my replacement pieces. It doesn't sit into the seat of the shoulder completely. But that is minor. I was thinking that I had an unlucky batch.

Edited by technoblue

Yes, it is excellent news. Here's the original thread for reference:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36316&hl=%20shapeways%20%20shoulders&page=1

All props should be directed to VF5SS.

Alas, while messing around with things after work today I noticed another "arm" problem:

post-5492-0-22472300-1408487022_thumb.png

That hard rubber(?) socket should be smooth inside. Instead, this one is rotting/disintegrating and creating a mess. :( Is there anything that might recondition the piece? If not, I'll need to find a spare arm for parts or buy one of those unpainted kits...