Anyone Have Experience Tearing down DX Chogokin?

XFJ-01A

Hey guys. I recently got back into building custom models with gundams, and have decided to make one of my next projects a bit more Ambitious.

What I plan to do is get another CF VF-25 and repaint them into Cipher and Solo Wing Pixy schemes from Ace Combat Zero. I know The cheaper route would be to just get the Bandai Model kits instead,and i'll probably fall back to that plan if things dont work out, but to be honest I wouldn't mind having something that lasts.

So to the root of my question, Does anyone on the boards have experience Dismantling a VF-25? V1 or Renewal?

Well, to start with, you may be better off waiting for the Alto reissue, and using those as the base, for a few reasons. First off, the less painting you have to do the better. While they weren't technically white aircraft, the scheme Cypher's plane was based on is one of the prototype F-15s, which was a nice gloss white. Pixy's later plane in the game was also white.

Unless you were planning on painting them both gray from the start, in which case it won't really matter. ^_^ As far as having something durable though, being able to start with a pure white aircraft and leave it the base color would avoid all the frustration of scratching over time. Plus, not having to paint the entire thing would save you a lot of time and effort, since you could just focus on removing the Alto markings, and adding the AC ones.

Anyway, as far as disassembling them, I haven't gotten much experience with the renewals, but if they're anything like the VF-27, be very careful about keeping left and right parts seperated, and taking pictures of exactly how they go together as you take them apart. The VF-27 uses a bunch of parts that can be mixed and matched, and it's very easy to assemble things the wrong way, rendering the valk completely unable to transform at all.