1. 1. How many of you MWr's out there would buy the 1/48's to customize

• Yes, customizing is the way to blow out the $160 bucks
    • No, I just play wtih them
    • I have too much time on my hands
    • Too much Moolah ta spend
    • It's not worth it the 1/48's already kick ass
    • It makes my 1/48 unique
    • Beause it's easy to do and they were ment to be customized

I like the idea of customizing. I still haven't tried it myself, but I'm toying with the idea. As far as "why the 1/48?" Well, it's a great toy. Many folks feel it's the best VF-1 toy ever (and I tend to agree). If Yamato doesn't make the one you want, how else are you going to get it? I also think the low-vis lends itself to cusomization and may have sparked a lot of interest in 1/48 customs. You can leave the paint scheme largely the same and use something like Takatoys' stickers to get something a little more unique. That, and with the re-release of the 1A Hikaru and 1S Roy, and the occasional cheap Max 1A, it's hard not to resist the temptation to give it a try.

Edited by Draykov

My answer isn't there: "No, because I don't have the insane skillz some here have." :)

I'd love to do a custom some day, but I'm still getting the hang of painting simple color schemes on WW2 aircraft. If I have trouble painting a $8 model kit, hell if I'm going to louse up a $130 Valk.

I like the idea of customizing. I still haven't tried it myself, but I'm toying with the idea. As far as "why the 1/48?" Well, it's a great toy. Many folks feel it's the best VF-1 toy ever (and I tend to agree). If Yamato doesn't make the one you want, how else are you going to get it? I also think the low-vis lends itself to cusomization and may have sparked a lot of interest in 1/48 customs. You can leave the paint scheme largely the same and use something like Takatoys' stickers to get something a little more unique. That, and with the re-release of the 1A Hikaru and 1S Roy, and the occasional cheap Max 1A, it's hard not to resist the temptation to give it a try.

Cool, I think I'll custom mine now

Right now I think I´d be willing to do some minor mods to a 1/48 , don´t know if that would still be called a custom but I´ve been planning buying the 1A and 1S reissues so I can mod them and have a Roy 1A and a Hikaru 1S. I´m pretty lame when it comes to painting models and I don´t have the confidence to do something so radical to a 1/48.

I´ve realised that the best way to try out a new colour scheme or mod is to apply it to some Banprestos first , if it looks right then it´s worth making a 1/48 custom out of it. ;)

The only customizing I really do on the 1/48 is panel lines. I might consider painting the feet, gunpod and intake covers a metallic color for a more "realistic" look.

My painting skills are hit & miss. Sometimes I'm an artist and other times my 7 year old nephew can paint better lol

The only modifications I've made to my 2 (3rd one on the way...1J FP) 1/48s are to buff down (I wouldn't realy call it sanding) the mold seam lines on the bottom surfaces of the two jet intakes with a flexfile buffing pad, drill the head laser cannons of my 1As, knock off those nasty little tabs on the front landing gear doors on my Max, and, of course, panel line the Max 1A with a grey Gundam fine point felt tip pen. I still have to apply Takatoys' stickers to these beuties. Anything else is just too scary to try on a toy that costs over $120.00 big ones.