Help? Any one with a spare part J23 & J24 for any of the Bandai 1

wm cheng

Hi all,

Huh, the topic title got cut off (I can't seem to edit the topic title) - I am asking about any of the Bandai 1/72 VF-25 models - this part is common to all.

Disaster struck! While I was stripping off paint in an effort to re-do a botched pant job on the collar/neck assembly of the VF25S Armored - I broke the two tiny arms that hold up the neck/head which connects it to the collar (parts J23 & J24). I dunked the entire assembly into lacquer thinner to remove the Alclad metalizer which I had sprayed on - for some reason (which I still don't know yet) the paint reacted funny. I guess I must of left it in the lacquer thinner too long to weaken the plastic, because the tiny c-clamp arms and hole just broke apart in my hands - note to self, lacquer thinner and ABS don't mix well.

post-244-0-16399800-1361644238_thumb.jpg

I have e-mailed HLJ about buying a replacement J-Tree - but their FAQ specifically states they will attempt replacement of missing or damaged parts within 10 days, and "...do not accept orders for parts in general." Unfortunately I ordered this model over 4yrs ago. So I'm appealing here in case anyone has a trashed VF-25 or spare parts box (you never know!).

Thanks.

Edited by wm cheng

I've got the same kit you're working on. I was planning on building it in Gerwalk mode only. Would those 2 parts be necessary for that? If not, I can help you out.

Thanks for the offer Jefuemon,

Well, you wouldn't need J-23, but you'd need to fashion a baseplate out of sheet styrene to mount the neck piece within the collar. However, you'd still need J-24 - not for the hinge, but the ball joint to mount the head and allow it to articulate over the neck. Unless you can find a generic ball that will fit into the socket within the bead that can be glued to the top of the neck piece or if you want to fix the head permanently in a certain postion.

Now if anyone wants to build a fighter only mode - then they definitely don't need those parts as the head is mostly hidden within the well. Anyone going to build or has built a fighter mode only version?

Edited by wm cheng

Shouldn't have to have the head out in Gerwalk anyway, right? If the pieces you're talking about are the ones I'm thinking of, I broke them too on my 25-F (yet another of a long list of reasons I don't like the Bandai kits), so I just permanently glued the head into the cavity it sits in.

Now if anyone wants to build a fighter only mode - then they definitely don't need those parts as the head is mostly hidden within the well. Anyone going to build or has built a fighter mode only version?

I don't think I'll ever finish my 99% done VF-25F. (I already sold the un-built super pack I had for it). I'll see if I can disassemble mine and get those parts out undamaged.

Thanks for the reponses!

Jefuemon - you're right (I was thinking of the older VF-1 where you'd see the head upside down between the legs) - I never have my VF-25 in Gerwalk mode, but now looking at the pictures, all you'd see is the top of the head (same as fighter mode). If you're willing to part with it - I'd love it and would love to pay for it and cover any shipping costs!

David - why did you never finish your 99% done VF-25F? You're almost there... I'd still love to see it! You might break the part if you disassemble it - the "hook" that attaches to the collar is REALLY delicate (that's the part that breaks). Thanks for the offer though, I'll let you know if Jefuemon decides to keep his.

The decals won't hold up at all, and I want to transform it occasionally--I put ridiculously thick coats of clear on some areas as a test and they still came right of. I'm disappointed with the transparency of the decals and my efforts to make the canopy purple. Lots of little things basically.

David -

Yes, the decals really suck! I found that they do not react to MicroSET or MicroSOL, however they do work with Mr. Hobby SOL (almost a little too well) so that might help with adhesion before the gloss coat now.

Transformation is always going to be a huge problem with any water-slide decals - that's why I hate transformable models in general. I usually only transform it 2 or 3 times in the model's lifetime. I take like 30mins to transform it with white gloves!!

Hopefully when the Hasegawa's come out, I will only keep the Bandai in the Battroid mode forever and ever (unless I actually get my hands on a few more Renewals). That's kind of why I'm building the Bandais now - I know I won't have any patience left in the near future.

I must of spent $40 in art supplies trying to find a decent tint for the canopy. I finally found an artist purple ink that I mixed with Future to dip just the outside of the canopy in which produced a satisfactory result. I am using a blue food colouring now mixed with future to blue tint the VF-25S canopy and it seems ok (maybe just a tad blue'green for my liking but it works).

Jefuemon -

Jefuemon TO THE RESCUE! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! What a wonderful MW community, I've received so much help and support from these forums.

Edited by wm cheng

Jefuemon -

Jefuemon TO THE RESCUE! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! What a wonderful MW community, I've received so much help and support from these forums.

No problem! Was never going to use it anyways. Got it sent out today after work. Use it in good health!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

Man, I love this community here. MacrossWorld has helped me so much over the years - what a wonderful online treasure.