Questions about adding subs to DYRL BD

esdeeyephwon

I'm planning to add English subs to my copy of DYRL BD and my initial forum search led me to these threads of interest:

- Hurin's awesome subtitle upgrade (5/18/2005 Update): http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13965

- Hurin's other upgrade (10/6/2005 Update): http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13441

- Hurin mentioning re-timing his previous efforts for the 2007 R2 version: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24267&page=6#entry546651

Although these were for older releases, I'm still interested (and only interested) in the SRT files that I can edit on my own (I imagine some of the timings will need to be adjusted for the BD release), but a few questions...

1. In the Working Files/Timed Scripts folder, there is an additonal "non-wide" version of the SRT file which ends on line 4481 (compared to 4457 in the other version). What is the difference (24 lines?) between the "non-wide" and "regular" version?

2. My first guess would be to use the latest update (10/6), but the SRT files between the 5/18 (macross-dyrl-r2-perfect-subs) and 10/6 (macross-dyrl-fx-subs-v2) versions all share the same file modification dates. Is it safe to assume that the SRT files used between the two versions are identical and that the updates/changes were only for the other files?

3. These were made in 2005. Has a more recent version appeared or were these pretty much already perfect, making further updates unnecessary?

My plan is just to rip the movie then add subs and MKV it, so all I'm really missing is a good SRT file (that will no doubt need some adjustments).

Interesting tidbit: my only other copy of DYRL is a "perfect edition" that I picked up at Amazon and I'm 99.9% sure it was built using Hurin's subs. :lol:

Edited by azrael

Be warned that the subs might not be timed for the BD's. Those subs you mention were originally created for the first R2 DVD. When the 2008 HD remaster came along, those subs were no longer timed to it. As the movie went on, they would lag further and further. It's quite likely they would also not be timed for the BD.

• 2 months later...

I use Plex so I don't need to remaster a BD with any BD mastering tools, so I looked and found some .ass subs online for the BD, and then went through them and improved them, where I thought they could use it, with Hurin's subs but keeping the BD based time codes.

The non-wide subs are for 4 by 3 displays. They will have more multi-line subs, and therefore have more lines in the file than the wide subs.

SC

Edited by Smithcraft