Scratch building

coronadlux

Hey guys, I am going to try to get my feet wet in the scratch building process of models. I am no where near Captain America's talent, not even close to 10% of it. He has more talent in his pinky than I have in my whole body... Enough worshiping...

1) Where do I get the reference material to start some line drawings and set things to proper scale?

2) Where do I find the sculpting wood the Capt'n uses? I have a small lathe already, working on getting a mill and band saw.

3) What type of mold polyeurethane is recommended for the molds?

ANy help would be grateful Thanks in advance.

Hi! It's always nice to see other people getting into Macross model building.

1. There are plenty of art books that can help you with that. Also check the fan art section for Valkyrie scales and then there's Mr. March's Mech Macross Manual.

2. It's called Renshape... it's not wood, it's a polyurethane foam-board. There are other types of high density foam boards also depending on the detail you need.

3. Check out smooth-on or Alumilite.

Your best bet is to get what side profile lineart you can and superimpose it on a scaled grid (on your PC). When you have the picture scaled right, paste it onto your material. The Captain also uses MDF. The plastic boards can get pricey. It all depends on what size you're buuilding and how small/large the parts are.

By the way, if you won't be a big user of a mill, I just use a hoby variable speed drill press with an X-Y table on it (photos posted up on "What's lying on your workbench soon). Hope that helps! - MT

I use mine all the time. I'm trying to make a good rotary table for it since the ones I've found (3") all get slammed in reviews. I mostly work micro scales so precision is a must. Have fun! - MT

I don't know if you're familiar with the brands, but the better micro tools are either Microlux (Micro Mark) or Proxxon. Some of the tool parts are the same, only different color schemes. Some are entirely different. HEAVILY research reviews on whatever you get.

I've got the micro drill with variable speed control on it to help from melting the styrene. That with the X-Y table and a machine vise works great. There are a few 3" rotary tables, but I haven't heard good reviews on the cheap ones. A 4" might work, but it will take up most of your table space!

The drill press and 10" disc sander are by far my most used tools! I'll score and break a piece of styrene, then true the edge up on the sander. Plus the sander is great for truing up tube ends and making tough angles in things. The drill press can be used as a lathe too (which you have already). I'm working on a REAL lathe for Christmas though ;) -MT