Alphas

Dynaman

Is anyone else watching this show. At first I thought it would be a "Heros" ripoff, it goes in a different direction though. It looks like it will be able to pull off multiple seasons far better then Heros did as well (it was just hard for Heros to top what it did in the first season, this show has a different pace).

The premise of the show is that people have special abilities (nothing as over the top as Heros though). The downside is that they all have some kind of personality disorder to go along with it. Non spoiler examples.

Super Strong Guy - Very brusque and off-putting.

Guy who can read radio signals - Autistic

Super Senses lady - is a pushover

Lady who can make others do things, sort of like "These are not the droids you are looking for..." - They are just giving hints about her.

The first half of the first episode I nearly stopped watching it, but it gets better.

Sounds a bit daft to me.....

That was why I was not sure of it by the first half hour, but it comes together pretty well. It certainly does not have the pop that Heros started with, but it grows on you. If you like Warehouse 13 then you may like this as well, if you hate Warehouse 13 then this would be another show to avoid. (WH13 is another show I didn't think I'd like at first, but it is a good blend of funny and serious - I might even check out Eureka because of it)

Wharehouse 13 and alpahs are both pretty good shows.

They are completely different, so if you like one you may or may not like the other. Wharehouse 13 not as serious of tone. It has a ton of allusions to scifi and pop culture. Which is a treat in itself. The premise is similar to the old Friday the 13th tv show. If you like Eureka, you will probably like wharehouse 13.

Alphas is more serious, very similar to the X-men comics. They group has a mentor/teacher that helps the Alphas deal with their abilities. They also locate other alphas and help minimize the damages from the dangerous alphas.

Edited by Golden Arms

If you like Warehouse 13 then you may like this as well

I watch WH13 mainly for Allison Scagliotti but Eddie McClintock is pretty funny on the show which helps make it more bearable. Alphas is pretty mediocre honestly (as is most stuff on SyFy which is why I just watch it on demand when I have time) but I'm hoping it will pick up in a few eps. I am thankful it's not as convoluted as Heroes was at least. It certainly has potential.

On a side note I keep having a feeling like I've seen something suspiciously similar to Alphas before. Have they played the pilot a while back and are just now airing the full series? or am I having a Deja vu moment?

Alphas is pretty mediocre honestly

It is not the greatest show on TV, but it beats the heck out of Syfy's "reality" lineup...

If it gets cancelled I will not be mourning the loss (I won't be cheering like I was for the cancellation of Flash Gordon though.)

On a side note I keep having a feeling like I've seen something suspiciously similar to Alphas before. Have they played the pilot a while back and are just now airing the full series? or am I having a Deja vu moment?

Probably Deja vu, I don't remember it having any previews. It doesn't help that it had a kind of bland opening reminiscient of just about every paranormal person show ever made...

Edited by Dynaman

I like the show. Gary (the former intern on the show Bones) is funny.

However I see a LOT of X-Men Charles Xavier influences in the show and the heavy handed and blatant themes and morals.

Edited by Solscud007