VF-27 Project

Starscream

Figured I'd share this- currently a model I had commissioned and am using for a little project called Song of Redemption. Any thoughts? This is a WIP.

Here's FIGHTER and GERWALK mode in the custom color scheme with the effect of Active Camouflage. Bare in mind, this is DEFINITELY still a WIP.

post-8055-0-71109100-1301298475_thumb.jpg

post-8055-0-59898200-1301298514_thumb.jpg

Well like I said, I did not make the 3D model, but rather it was a commission I paid for. My part on the model is the cockpit, the landing gear assembly, and the high-res material maps (originally the maps were all 16-bit JPEG, I'm doing them all in 32-bit PNG, as seen on the black version). Furthermore I'll be modelling the Super Fold Booster, as well as an Electronic Warfare-type FAST Pack system for it. It's primary use will be for illustrations for a novel I'm working on (Song of Redemption).

Here's the deal: I'm considering launching a website... a repository, if you will. Strictly Macross-related 3D models. I used to have a VF-11D model, and a VF-19A model but computer crashes caused it to go bye-bye about a decade ago. I've seen models floating around of the VF-25's, VF-19's, etc. I'm all about pooling resources due to the content that can be created as an end result. That said, if I do launch this site, the VF-27 (BRERA and Mass Production varients) will be available for free download (3DS Max format). The catch is: To download, you contribute to the site (i.e. Fighter, ship, even scenery as long as it's Macross-related). Any thoughts on this?

That won't be a problem. Just gimme some time since I have a lot more tweaking to do on it, but once done I can do a few background-style stills.

Also, here's a test render video I did tonight including the thrust trails.

What is the font used on the Antares lettering on the leg?

I've been trying to figure it out for months...

Oh how I wish there was a font. If there is, it's unknown to me. So it was done the hard way... by hand. But here, knock yourself out with it.

Ky_trails. 3GS max Macross modelers secret weapon

3ds! Stupid, autocorrect.

How'd you guess? xD Actually I used both the Ky_trails and Ky_MilkyWay plugins. VERY convenient but still tweaking it to look right. Going to bust out a Cel Shader next to make it look more Frontier-ish.

post-8055-0-47450800-1301416961_thumb.png

Well like I said, I did not make the 3D model, but rather it was a commission I paid for. My part on the model is the cockpit, the landing gear assembly, and the high-res material maps (originally the maps were all 16-bit JPEG, I'm doing them all in 32-bit PNG, as seen on the black version). Furthermore I'll be modelling the Super Fold Booster, as well as an Electronic Warfare-type FAST Pack system for it. It's primary use will be for illustrations for a novel I'm working on (Song of Redemption).

Here's the deal: I'm considering launching a website... a repository, if you will. Strictly Macross-related 3D models. I used to have a VF-11D model, and a VF-19A model but computer crashes caused it to go bye-bye about a decade ago. I've seen models floating around of the VF-25's, VF-19's, etc. I'm all about pooling resources due to the content that can be created as an end result. That said, if I do launch this site, the VF-27 (BRERA and Mass Production varients) will be available for free download (3DS Max format). The catch is: To download, you contribute to the site (i.e. Fighter, ship, even scenery as long as it's Macross-related). Any thoughts on this?

It's a really cool idea, and I completely understand the constraints, however it is a bit of a bummer for those of us with little to no skills who still want to see if they can tinker and get something from some of these models.

It's a really cool idea, and I completely understand the constraints, however it is a bit of a bummer for those of us with little to no skills who still want to see if they can tinker and get something from some of these models.

My main reasoning for this though is to promote expansion to the repository (if I do it). If I don't set it up in that manner, then it's unlikely that people would be pulled in the direction to contribute, and it'd just be stagnant. :\

My main reasoning for this though is to promote expansion to the repository (if I do it). If I don't set it up in that manner, then it's unlikely that people would be pulled in the direction to contribute, and it'd just be stagnant. :\

I will totally release any model I make for Aria to the repository (perhaps with some constraints). I love crowd-sourcing and open-source art and media projects, so long as the original authors get credit for their work.

For people who are just dabbling, then they might be inspired to try their hand at something. For instance, in Aria, one day I decided I needed shell casings for the GU-11. It took me about a minute to model something that matched the line art. It's kind of a lame contribution, but ordnance is easier to model than a fully rigged transformable valk, or something organic like a human pilot. There's always a place for contributions of many kinds. If I REALLY wanted to get my hands on that VF-27 model, but knew I didn't have the skill to make it myself, I might be pushed to try to at least model a FAST Pack or something. It'd be worth it to learn, if I could then download and play with somebody else's more advanced model.

Also, that model looks great for it's complexity level. I expected the wireframe to be twice as dense, based on the renders. Are you using a turbosmooth or meshsmooth modifier on it? What cel shader do you plan on using. Currently I actually own finalToon, which is mostly pretty great, but lacks a couple of features that Illustrate! has. Likewise, Illustrate lacks some of finalToon's functionality. There is a "personal edition" of cebas FinalRender r3 (which includes finalToon) for under $200 which is great, but it's already outdated, as there is a 3.5 out now. I haven't much played with Max's built-in Ink'n'Paint materials, because they were really slow when they were first introduced, so I've steered clear. However, my understanding is that they're pretty good now. Um, but the point is, we still haven't settled on an exact cel shading look for Aria yet, and I'm always interested in what other artists doing. Our trick will be finding something that works with our CGI characters, and feels like an entry in the Macross universe, but being the only fully CGI entity so far, it has room to establish its own aesthetic.

I have lots of questions, by the way:

Poly count on that VF-27?

How is it rigged? Did you do the rigging, or was that part of the commission?

The VF-1 I rigged was done very early in my rigging "career" and if I had it to do over (I do) I would do it very differently. I'm curious about doing more IK/FK blends, or even designing some motions in MotionBuilder, so I can also use that FBIK that for some reason Maya can do, but Max doesn't really do. My animation presets that I created were pretty sloppy, since some of the stuff is turning on and off keyframes for constraints and limits on rotation or preferred angles. Particularly any switch from Gerwalk to Battroid or back involves the knees totally changing their preferred angle and their limits. Maybe the key is simply a blend system that uses one set of bones for the Battroid mode, and another for the Gerwalk mode?

I will totally release any model I make for Aria to the repository (perhaps with some constraints). I love crowd-sourcing and open-source art and media projects, so long as the original authors get credit for their work.

For people who are just dabbling, then they might be inspired to try their hand at something. For instance, in Aria, one day I decided I needed shell casings for the GU-11. It took me about a minute to model something that matched the line art. It's kind of a lame contribution, but ordnance is easier to model than a fully rigged transformable valk, or something organic like a human pilot. There's always a place for contributions of many kinds. If I REALLY wanted to get my hands on that VF-27 model, but knew I didn't have the skill to make it myself, I might be pushed to try to at least model a FAST Pack or something. It'd be worth it to learn, if I could then download and play with somebody else's more advanced model.

Also, that model looks great for it's complexity level. I expected the wireframe to be twice as dense, based on the renders. Are you using a turbosmooth or meshsmooth modifier on it? What cel shader do you plan on using. Currently I actually own finalToon, which is mostly pretty great, but lacks a couple of features that Illustrate! has. Likewise, Illustrate lacks some of finalToon's functionality. There is a "personal edition" of cebas FinalRender r3 (which includes finalToon) for under $200 which is great, but it's already outdated, as there is a 3.5 out now. I haven't much played with Max's built-in Ink'n'Paint materials, because they were really slow when they were first introduced, so I've steered clear. However, my understanding is that they're pretty good now. Um, but the point is, we still haven't settled on an exact cel shading look for Aria yet, and I'm always interested in what other artists doing. Our trick will be finding something that works with our CGI characters, and feels like an entry in the Macross universe, but being the only fully CGI entity so far, it has room to establish its own aesthetic.

That was my thought exactly- even if someone is inexperienced, this might be the drive that they need to get in gear and start working on some things. As far as which Cel Shader, I'm undecided. I DO know that Macross Zero and Macross Frontier were both done with 3DS Max (You can definitely tell on Zero where they list Autodesk in the credits). I'd like to figure out which they used. But odds are I'll be using FinalRender R3.5 due to the flexibility.

I have lots of questions, by the way:

Poly count on that VF-27?

How is it rigged? Did you do the rigging, or was that part of the commission?

The VF-1 I rigged was done very early in my rigging "career" and if I had it to do over (I do) I would do it very differently. I'm curious about doing more IK/FK blends, or even designing some motions in MotionBuilder, so I can also use that FBIK that for some reason Maya can do, but Max doesn't really do. My animation presets that I created were pretty sloppy, since some of the stuff is turning on and off keyframes for constraints and limits on rotation or preferred angles. Particularly any switch from Gerwalk to Battroid or back involves the knees totally changing their preferred angle and their limits. Maybe the key is simply a blend system that uses one set of bones for the Battroid mode, and another for the Gerwalk mode?

At present it's 33864 polygons. As far as the rigging, it was all done as part of the commission but everything is linked together like a skeleton for ease of transformation. Likewise, I'll be adding IK to the additions to it (Fold Booster, FAST Packs, etc) so that they remain connected during transformation sequences and what-not.

Sorry, would get into more detail but I have a raging hangover right now. And I think it's getting close to that time to go repeat hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work!

Please add wallpaper sized versions with white background of your custom and Brera's VF-27s

Just one complaint, make the wing engines tips more pointy and it's perfect

Really good work, Starscream.

The active camouflage is a cool idea. However, I am interested in snatching that first picture as a desktop wallpaper and I would prefer that the model be solid. Is there any way this can be accomodated?

I hope this will accommodate you both. :) This was just messing around. Haven't been able to really work on it for the past week. New laptop and still trying to get everything back up to par to how I like it.

Enjoy and feel free to use as a Wallpaper. ;D And yes I realize that the blank background image is EXTREMELY big. That's the resolution I typically work within. Also having a skin issue with both fighters at the front of the engines- not sure WTF is going on but like I said, new laptop. Got a lot of work to do still.

post-8055-0-07495100-1302294787_thumb.png

post-8055-0-08245500-1302294815_thumb.png

Edited by Starscream