Yamato GN-U Dou Macross series

easnoddy

So I'm 3 years late jumping on the Yamato GN-U toyline (Macross only), but I have the 3 original M+ mechs after buying all 3 online for $29.85 shipped (woohoo!). These are great little desktop toys! It says they are made of ABS, but it really feels like polystyrene. They feel like little, cool, pre-built, pre-painted models. Since Yamato's last release in the series was 09/2009, can I assume that Yamato has abandoned this line? This could have been a really cool long-range toyline (going into M7, M0, etc) as a sturdier alternative to the Kaiyodo Revoltech line which seems to keep going. I really wish they would have stuck to Macross instead of venturing into super robots. I can see myself getting all of the Macross GN-U Dou releases (fast pack sets are probably next for me, then the VF-X2 releases). The VF-22's and VF-11C would have been pretty logical next step like they did with the 1/60 line.

Speaking of defunct toy lines, did Bandai ditch the VF100's line after the VF-25's due to customer response? Holding the GN-U Dou figures I find myself wanting scaled-down versions of Yamato's transforming fighters, so I'll probably get the VF100's to keep on my desk at work. I have yet to own one, but those and Damashii seem like nice, albeit overpriced toy crack for my work desk. They look solid in all 3 modes but are total partsformers so people didn't like them very much.

I'm really curious to try out the VF Hi-metal line. They look pretty sweet based on the reviews I've seen.

GnU Dou Macross appears to be dead. It was tough competition with Kaiyodo offering cheaper toys, sometimes more poseable, with more extras (including mini stands). The Gnu were definitely better built but they demanded a fairly stiff premium. If you have the MacPlus ones you should try to hunt down the super upgrade parts... it's amazing how such minor improvements really help those toys out. Yamato's VFC Gashapon series also seems to have suffered a similar fate which is too bad.

The VF100 toys are pretty bad if you plan on transforming them. If you're not transforming them then the Robot Spirits VF-25 is a better battroid toy (a bit flimsier but more fun overall).

Hi-Metal line is pure win so far... just a bit pricey... here's to hoping it sees lots more releases.

Edited by jenius