Alternat Attachment for 1/55 Boosters... ????

Skull-1

I'm trying to figure out how to get the boosters to attach to either the backpack or the dorsal plate on the 1/55 using magnets. The main problem is that, in order for a magnet to be strong enough to hold it has to be pretty thick. I can't shave it down enough to fit inside the tail pack or dorsal plate. I've tried to grind them down but they are ceramic and all they do is get hot.

Any suggetions folks?

It would be great to be rid of the silly backpack clip.

The legs are easier to work with. Should be able to pull that off.

The only thing I can think of is using metal on the back pack where space is tight and the magnets on the Boosters where you have more room to play with. nice pure metal will be more magnetic, but where to source the stuff I cant help with. Either way it wont be as strong as magnet to magnet.

The only thing I can think of is using metal on the back pack where space is tight and the magnets on the Boosters where you have more room to play with. nice pure metal will be more magnetic, but where to source the stuff I cant help with. Either way it wont be as strong as magnet to magnet.

No luck so far.

Are there any magnets out there that are thin but powerful?

I think this kind of a mod would be great because you could use the armor on multiple Valks. Just imbed the magnets in every one you build. It also adds some weight to the lower leg which helps the center of gravity.

I guess in the end I only have about four or five sets of armor to go around any way...other than the stuff from the reissues.

There is a type of magnets called "rare earth magnets" that are really strong, they might do the trick. Of course, you would still need to figure out where on the "backpack" to insert a metal plate to anchor them, and possibly a couple of pins or pegs to stop the boosters from tilting once they are attached.

Good luck with your project mate, Chunky Mafia represent!

Woot!!

Hi Skull-1,

Great to see you back at your craft! :) You can try these puppies from Joann's. They are 12mm dia, 3mm thick. You can use their weekly 40% off or Michael's 40% off coupons too. Just don't put these things anywhere near credit cards, CRTs, tube TVs, or magnetic media or you will be hurting. Keep them away from kids too just to be safe.

Looking forward to your next custom!

I have some of those rare earth magnets and if you could figure out a place to imbed them, they'd be plenty strong enough to keep the boosters mounted. But maybe a bit too strong. If you're planning on using them with a custom painted 1/55, I'd be concerned that the booster would snap to backplate with so much violent force that repeated use would result in paint chipping or scraping on the backplate.

If you decide to go with rare earth magnets, I'd suggest testing them out on two random pieces of custom painted plastic and see how well the paint job holds up. Best of luck!

Thank you both.

Good advice LoneWolf. They're really that strong, eh?

Grapetang, thanks for the kind words. I'm SLOWLY getting it going again. Have just come up with a mod for the intake blister that gives more poseability without the drawbacks of the previous "solution" to the issue. Should be in another thread somewhere.

Thanks for the link!!

I will try to throw together a Christmas Picture of "The Family" here soon. :D

LoneWolf's right. These magnets are really, really strong. You won't even need magnet-on-magnet for it to smack hard against metal. I think WM Cheng had listed some mail-order place for tiny, rare-earth magnets that might be more suitable. Was it K&J?

The super strong ones from Joann's are just easier to get since you can walk into a store, pick one up, and try it out. They are really powerful so keep them away from your credit cards & magnetic media. If you do use them and there's room, you can mount them elevated or further away to reduce the magnetic field strength, and then line the booster mating surface with thick cloth or thin felt to protect the paint. It's probably not safe to cut nor machine them. Just some suggestions...

Good luck & have fun! Post pics too! :)

Thanks for the advice. I truly appreciate it. I tried magnets from Hobby Lobby--not strong enough. Tried some from Home Depot, too. Same problem. Very annoying.

I just wish I could finish my toys better (as in top coat). They look gorgeous but my top coats (unless they are gloss) wreck the things. I can paint so well, too. I should probably just leave them without a top coat. I still can't find a non-yellowing dull.

Gonna' post some pics shortly of my VT-1.