Question about Mr. Super Clear UV

GU-11

I just bought a can of Mr. Super Clear UV Cut flat, and besides using it on some Gunpla, I thought of using it on a couple of primarily white-colored VF's (YF-19 DN, VF-1S, Vermilion Squadron).

Thing is, I've heard that the spray might eat into water slide decals.

What I'd like to know is if dry-transfer decals and marking stickers are safe. Are they?

More importantly, is the spray safe to use on the Valks themselves?

Also, I've read from a doll-making website that sells the spray (long story) that the spray itself will yellow in time, and you might need to remove the spray and reseal the doll/BDJ or whatever they call those things. How true is this? Does the same apply to Gunpla and Yammie VF's?

So, any advice and tips about the spray is much appreciated.

Muchos gracias.

I've not actually used the UV cut clear, but I've used the regular Mr. Super clear (which is basically the same except without the UV filtering component). I've found it to be completely safe over rub transfer decals and stickers. As for water-slide decals; while you CAN mess them up with Mr. Super clear, It's actually a lot less likely than people make it out to be. I use it mostly over Bandai decals and third party printed decals and it's never caused a problem, even with heavy wet coats. The only time I've every messed up a decal was with a heavy wet coat strait over some old, thin decals from a Revel aircraft model. as long as you start with mist coats then work your way up to heavier coats, you'll be fine over any kind of decals, although the rub transfers you specified are the least likely to be messed up.

As for the valk itself, it shouldn't be a problem either. I do advice you clean the surface you're going to paint before you do so. (warm water, soap and a toothbrush or some rubbing alcohol usually does the trick)

Now I've never heard about Mr. Super clear yellowing over time. After all the whole point of the UV cut clear is that it has an anti-UV coating to prevent the plastic from yellowing over time. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Also, anything that's strong enough to remove super clear will also strip off the factory applied paint and all of your decals, so that's not something you want to do. ;)

hope this helps in some way.

I used it over some Hasegawa decals and it was fine. HOWEVER, I then used it over some decals from FineMolds, and every single one curled up and crinkled - this was the FM Jedi Fighter, which is one of the most difficult decaling jobs ever so you can image I was pretty cross.

Please experiment before you use it. Try on just a small area which you won't miss to much if it all goes south.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not actually used the UV cut clear, but I've used the regular Mr. Super clear (which is basically the same except without the UV filtering component). I've found it to be completely safe over rub transfer decals and stickers. As for water-slide decals; while you CAN mess them up with Mr. Super clear, It's actually a lot less likely than people make it out to be. I use it mostly over Bandai decals and third party printed decals and it's never caused a problem, even with heavy wet coats. The only time I've every messed up a decal was with a heavy wet coat strait over some old, thin decals from a Revel aircraft model. as long as you start with mist coats then work your way up to heavier coats, you'll be fine over any kind of decals, although the rub transfers you specified are the least likely to be messed up.

As for the valk itself, it shouldn't be a problem either. I do advice you clean the surface you're going to paint before you do so. (warm water, soap and a toothbrush or some rubbing alcohol usually does the trick)

Now I've never heard about Mr. Super clear yellowing over time. After all the whole point of the UV cut clear is that it has an anti-UV coating to prevent the plastic from yellowing over time. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Also, anything that's strong enough to remove super clear will also strip off the factory applied paint and all of your decals, so that's not something you want to do. ;)

hope this helps in some way.

I used it over some Hasegawa decals and it was fine. HOWEVER, I then used it over some decals from FineMolds, and every single one curled up and crinkled - this was the FM Jedi Fighter, which is one of the most difficult decaling jobs ever so you can image I was pretty cross.

Please experiment before you use it. Try on just a small area which you won't miss to much if it all goes south.

A thousand thanks for the info, guys! I'd almost given up hope of ever getting an answer. Hell, I almost forgot I posted this until I started browsing the customizing section.

So, it's pretty much safe to use all all but certain water-slide decals. Got it.

Thanks again.

By the way, would a couple of coats of clear spray be able to mask the edges of those stickers Yamato includes with their VF's?

It would save me a lot of time and effort trimming the edges of those stickers with a pair of scissors and a box cutter.

By the way, would a couple of coats of clear spray be able to mask the edges of those stickers Yamato includes with their VF's?

It would save me a lot of time and effort trimming the edges of those stickers with a pair of scissors and a box cutter.

sort of. It will look a little better but you'll still be able to see the edges. I've found that if you take the time to trim the stickers down and then clear coat it the result is much better. Also the decals are less likely to curl up over time.

sort of. It will look a little better but you'll still be able to see the edges. I've found that if you take the time to trim the stickers down and then clear coat it the result is much better. Also the decals are less likely to curl up over time.

Thanks for the heads up, man. I don't really mind trimming the edges; just tedious and time consuming is all. But if that's what it takes to pretty up my Valks, then you gotta do what you gotta do... :)