Odd ball question concerning old macross kits..

e_jacob77

HI all,

I don't have any old kits for sale, nor do I plan on building any, as I don't have any kits at all.. My questions are: 1 Do the 1/72 Mac F kits come sealed? If so, what would happen if I were to keep them sealed for a couple years, then build them? Like would they yellow at all? If so, would they yellow quicker? That sorta thing...

Yellowing of plastics happens due to UV light exposure. If you keep the boxes shut there shouldn't be any problems. The bigger problem would be the prevention of decals yellowing. Make sure to seal your decals in a dry and light impermeable sleeve or bag.

Yellowing of plastics happens due to UV light exposure. If you keep the boxes shut there shouldn't be any problems. The bigger problem would be the prevention of decals yellowing. Make sure to seal your decals in a dry and light impermeable sleeve or bag.

HI all,

As long as the kit comes sealed, would the decals still yellow inside?

I own Gundam and Macross kits that been released over 10 years ago, and all plastics and decals are still good as new.

If you buy new kits that's been sealed then you shouldn't worried about it.

But you have to store it in cool place with no humidities. B))

Edited by Maiden Japan

I've got decals over twenty years old (and yes I still use them from time to time). Just keep everything sealed, out of the light, and outa sight and you should be fine. I occasionalyl look at my old kits that SOMEDAY I WILL BUILD (really), just not today :rolleyes: Some of my kits are also 20+ years old and there are no problems with them either. The stuff I had sitting out on my shelves, some of it you could never tell it was white! Like TSP said, keep it shut. There's nothing like that "new kit smell!" - MT

If the kit is in an environment that suffers extreme changes between hot and cold, dry and damp over the course of extended periods of time (like an uninsulated attic or storage shed in the northeast US, for example) you can have some negative results on the paper elements of the kit. But you'll probably notice any potential issues the moment you pick up the box. Mildew smell, dirt on the box, etc.