Articulated mecha hands idea....

Vespaeda

Just had a vision while browsing cwmodel's HobbyFan site and covering several kit-bash/scratch builders threads on articulated hands.

Does everyone ever pay attention to those silvery, household light switch chains made up of dozens of those little, stamped-steel balls? The ones in at least one place around our homes that we yank on & off absentmindedly? Pretty sturdy considering how long they last before one of the ball links gives way.

I've got them on my dogtags too, but I've seen a smaller diam. ball-chain available in some stores than this common size. If these were affixed to a mecha palm unit or metal gauntlet as 4 fingers & a thumb, styrene, epoxy clay or pvc could be fit over them and shaped as fingers.

A little time spent shaping & sanding the built-up digits would yield excellent fingers with full mobility. A length of household electrical wire or even a heat softened paper clip could be aligned along the dorsal axis of each finger prior to covering with plastic to allow only flexion/extension in one direction. Also, if each ball on the link is too close for proper finger length, 2 balls & the interlink could be covered to provide proper "phalanges" length btwn joints.

When I get off duty, I'm gonna drum up a test proto like this:

/0-0-0-0-0

llll-o-o-o-o-oo

llll-o-o-o-o-o-o

llll-o-o-o-o-o-o

llll-o-o-o-o-o

Each finger viewed from side/edge on will be constructed like this:

------------------------------ <---- WWWWWWWW

o-o-o-o-o-o-O-o-o-o-o-o

Symbol legend:

--------: straight somewhat stiff wire

-o-o-o-: ball-link pull chain(small guage stuff, Michael's/HmDepot)

WWW: dental floss, to be wound axially around the chain/wire

finger

The dental floss will help stabilize the wire & chain elements and provide a glue friendly, resilient mounting surface for the built up finger material.

Gonna have to bug someone w/a scanner to post pics. And disposable 35-film to record the event!!

I'm such a trog!

Vesp

Edited by Vespaeda

Just had a vision while browsing cwmodel's HobbyFan site and covering several kit-bash/scratch builders threads on articulated hands.

Does everyone ever pay attention to those silvery, household light switch chains made up of dozens of those little, stamped-steel balls? The ones in at least one place around our homes that we yank on & off absentmindedly? Pretty sturdy considering how long they last before one of the ball links gives way.

I've got them on my dogtags too, but I've seen a smaller diam. ball-chain available in some stores than this common size. If these were affixed to a mecha palm unit or metal gauntlet as 4 fingers & a thumb, styrene, epoxy clay or pvc could be fit over them and shaped as fingers.

A little time spent shaping & sanding the built-up digits would yield excellent fingers with full mobility. A length of household electrical wire or even a heat softened paper clip could be aligned along the dorsal axis of each finger prior to covering with plastic to allow only flexion/extension in one direction. Also, if each ball on the link is too close for proper finger length, 2 balls & the interlink could be covered to provide proper "phalanges" length btwn joints.

When I get off duty, I'm gonna drum up a test proto like this:

/0-0-0-0-0

llll-o-o-o-o-oo

llll-o-o-o-o-o-o

llll-o-o-o-o-o-o

llll-o-o-o-o-o

Each finger viewed from side/edge on will be constructed like this:

------------------------------ <---- WWWWWWWW

o-o-o-o-o-o-O-o-o-o-o-o

Symbol legend:

--------: straight somewhat stiff wire

-o-o-o-: ball-link pull chain(small guage stuff, Michael's/HmDepot)

WWW: dental floss, to be wound axially around the chain/wire

finger

The dental floss will help stabilize the wire & chain elements and provide a glue friendly, resilient mounting surface for the built up finger material.

Gonna have to bug someone w/a scanner to post pics. And disposable 35-film to record the event!!

I'm such a trog!

Vesp

I too may be venturing into poseable custom hands.... By any chance could you post a link to the cwmodel's HobbyFan threads about articulated hand of which you spoke?

Now that I've got the reference I need for the VF-1 DYRL style hands, I'm thinking about how to go about making them. My biggest problem is since I don't have a 1/48 available I don't even know how big of a hand I'm even talking about. What I really need are some basic demensions.... If anyone wants to help please refer to this thread: DYRL style hands

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how your ideas develop. ;)