Online Hobby Shops?

Kelsain

Hi all!

Somewhat inspired by the Astounding Captain America, I'm looking to start scratch building a few things. However, now that I live in Meadville, PA - population 13000 - I don't quite have the modeling resources I once had... It seems that hobbies have taken a hit here in PA due to the economy, as ever shop I've tried to go to within 1 hour's drive is closed.

As such, I'm looking for recommendations from you fellows for online hobby shops. More specifically, places I can get Plastruct/Evergreen sheets, scribing tools & Aves in one place. Preferably US-based with good prices. I know StarshipModeler's store is awesome, but they don't have sheets and are out of Apoxie! HLJ has everything you'd need, but then there's the int'l shipping...

Where do you guys get your supplies?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kelsain

Hey there Kelsain,

I have a hobby shop I use that is local here in Cali but they also have an online site and I believe the can ship you products as well.

Granted this shop is for the most part a hobby train shop, it also carries a wide verity of materials such as plastic models (aircraft,

tanks, and ships) and the materials you mentioned as well. (plastruct/evergreen sheets, I beams, H beams, rounded pipes, square pipes etc.)

On top of that they also carry a wide selection of tools for hobby enthusiasts (pin guages, clamps, precision drills, various x-acto kits,

sculpting tools, glues of all types, and many other resources. I am not a hundred percent that everything can be shipped to you but at least

its a venue that you can look into. Here is the link and I hope this may be of some help to you.

http://www.reeds-hobbies.com/

Blue B))

Edited by Iceblue106

Thanks for the link, IceBlue. I was beginning to think I was asking for too much! I've gone ahead and ordered a few things from a couple different places, but I'll check these guys out and consider them for future needs!

Thanks for the link, IceBlue. I was beginning to think I was asking for too much! I've gone ahead and ordered a few things from a couple different places, but I'll check these guys out and consider them for future needs!

Glad I could be of some assistance!! :) I think the possible issue here is that this site has been around for over 10 years and

because of this, some questions are redundant. If the questions pose as being redundant than fellow members don't find it necessary to post replies to help out.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure this isn't the intent of our fellow "good hearted" members, but I find it to be a normal occurrence.

Again this is only an observation on my behalf, but one that can be seen by many.

Prime example: this post has had over 70 views and yet I am the only one who has taken the effort to help out. (even if it wasn't completely usable information)

Blue B))

Edited by Iceblue106

I am in the same boat as you, all of the hobby shops here have gone out of business and I had to revert to shopping online.

The 2 places I use online are

Micromark.com (for most of the tools I need)

and

megahobby.com (for paints)

Good luck

being super anal about tools and supplies I spent a while on ebay looking for the 90's citadel paints with drip lids, especially the metallics. It took a while but I finally found a guy in jersey who was willing to part with one pot of blue metallic because I bought 40 other pots of various colors. Later that year I was in a car accident and suffered nerve damage and as such can no longer paint steady. And for some reason I still can't part with the paints :rolleyes:

another example is of a radio shack probe set discontinued in 2002. % years later at a francise store going out of business I found three sets and bought them all. The straight probe from the set is the only thing I know of that will open my blasted teac 8x burner

then there was the modeling putty probe that saved my $1k in transmission work.

I'd say find out in detail what you want or what people like cheng recommend and search everywhere from garage sales to google to old electronics and hardware stores.

just try and find a "fret" saw and you will know what I mean... Once upon a time there was a small saw blade for the exacto knife. Great for custom modeling but long out of production. And mine is not for sale. I imagine that there are many fabulous tools I have never had the chance to work with as well.

being super anal about tools and supplies I spent a while on ebay looking for the 90's citadel paints with drip lids, especially the metallics. It took a while but I finally found a guy in jersey who was willing to part with one pot of blue metallic because I bought 40 other pots of various colors. Later that year I was in a car accident and suffered nerve damage and as such can no longer paint steady. And for some reason I still can't part with the paints :rolleyes:

I'd say find out in detail what you want or what people like cheng recommend and search everywhere from garage sales to google to old electronics and hardware stores.

I have to agree with Kanata about the search ideas...look everywhere possible,

however if you do consider his idea of citadel paints, I would have to agree that

they were wonderful paints to work with and also have a verity of washes, brushes,

and tools for your hobby needs. If you go this route here is a link to the games workshop

website which allows you to order these items online.

Again hope it helps.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat410002&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools

Blue B))

Haha, I still use my Citadels too, especially the metallics. Some of them have lasted for more than a decade!

I just got my Squadron scriber, plastruct and aves in the mail. I used www.hobbylinc.com for the tools & plastic - they have a lot of scratchbuilding supplies, as well as kits. I got the aves from www.Artplace.com, cheapest price I could find other than SSM (out of stock). Seemed like a wasted to get the 1/4 lb sample kit, when the full 1lb was only 25% more. Thanks for your help!

Look out for a new thread covering my project soon!

Edited by Kelsain