Why no fan-fiction?

yellowlightman

Fan fiction has been a big part of aniem internet fandom, dating back to the days when USENET was the big thing. I think fan fiction popularity has dwindled a bit, but compared to other series Macross lacks any substancial amount of it. Series like Robotech, Ranma 1/2 and Bubblegum Crisis all have tons of the stuff. macross doesn't. Anyone have any idea why?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that Macross fandom didn't really congregate until the collapse of Robotech fandom around 2000, which was long past the fall in popularity of USENET, which had fostered most fan fiction works.

I just find it odd, especially in Macross World that there's no real fan fiction being written. Lots of fan art, custom toys and models, and 3D models... but no fan art. Maybe because it isn't 'cool?'

I have no idea... I'm just thinking out loud. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have been working recently on a semi-AU Macros story, from what I have been able to gather up about the original story line (I'm just now rediscovering it) though, when I started writing it, I had not seen Zero, and the first chapter (I have four written so far) there is a dogfight sequence a lot like the opening one in Zero, though, no SV-51 showing up. would you guys want me posting the starting chapters? (I have been releasing it to my DeviantArt account in chapters).

what I would not mind from aspiring novel writers is that the fiction should coincide with the Macross storyline that would fit between the tv series and movies including DYRL.

so far one of the best fan fiction I read so far is Stargate/Battlestar Galactica and it was done by an aspiring writer and U.S. military soldier (sorry forgot which branch he was in), but had more than enough resources to write/type down what he meant w/out having to describe some in length each item that each character uses (*cough*battletech novels*cough*) that would slow the action and pace, and kept the reader to wanting more in story, action while keeping the pace of the story just write.

probably that is too much to ask for... but it would be a great challenge in order to ensure to captivate an audience.