Podcast: Three Robot Video Games

Ginrai

I loved that Armada PS2 game. Hell, it was a blast just wandering around the pretty landscapes (like Alaska) - especially if you have the 1-shot kill code and the flack-cannon Minicon.

Looking forward to giving it a listen...

huh, it cut out kind of abruptly at the end when Andrew was talking about the Macross PS2 game, wonder if that is emualted for the PC yet. We will miss you Andrew.

Yeah that was basically the end. I removed a brief "steal this off the internet oh wait maybe we should say that!"

I always wanted to play Vortex ever since it came out, just because it had a transforming robot, and god knows those things were rare in the early 90s. But I never bought it, for some reason (probably just coudn't afford it). I will check it out now, though. I remember at the time it came out people were not being too hard on it, but I did wonder why it never achieved the praise Starfox or even WildTrax got. Those first few Super FX games were all very interesting.

As for Macross PS2... Am I the only one who didn't care for this game much? I have it, played it like twice and as Andrew said, once you finish it, there's not much else to keep you coming back. I cannot believe they took out the SV-51 and the VF-0 from it during development, since they did actually advertise those as being featured. I got sick of the VF-1 so I prefer VF-X2 etc. I only play AceFrontier now, it's the good things of the PS2 version, but much better, with more variety.

However, I don't think I was aware that the VF-4 was in there! What do you have to do to unlock it?

Vortex is ok if you work at it. The training missions are infinitely replayable at least. Man the game had a full hands on tutorial that took you through all the controls. It's through that kind of ambition I find Vortex enduring. I like the Macross PS2 game because it's actually fun to play while VF-X2 and especially VF-X1 are not.