Macross DVDs, that worth buying?

S-47 Berkut

I have R1 mangle DVDs Macross Plus OVA and Movie and also Macross II

Their Quality are realy crap.

1) M+ OVA - gamma ruined, only dark and bright, no halftones

2) M+ Movie - strange colors, HARDCODED subs.

3) M II - LOTS cross coloration on lines, sometimes hard subs.

Friend give me R2 M+ movie dvd image (now it lies on my hd :) )

Colors and gamma in it realy better, but cross coloration stiil present.

I think about buying M+ OVA , M II, M 2012 and M 20 anniversary DVDs from japan or HK boot,

but HK DVD often have recompressed video.

I need yours advices.

What HK dvd is copy of japanese dvd?

What quality of japanese DVD releases of this films?

screenshots are welcome.

Yes, all of Mangle's discs suck... that is why I do not buy them.

Money talks...

Anyway, the R2 of Macross Plus Movie is leaps and bounds over the R1 disc. Also doesn't have the shitty "5.1" mix, which is really just the stereo mix with an echo.... how lame.

Also has a better bitrate and no hardsubs... but also has no english subtitles in general.

The box art is also wonderful. :)

Are you sure that the image your friend gave you isn't downsampled? Because the disc is a DVD9 so if it was an image on your HDD it should be like 6-8GB.... downsampling and re-encoding of the video will result in a decrease in video quality... as well as the sound...

The Macross Plus R2 set comes in two seperate boxes (one ep per disc IIRC). Video quality is supposed to be better but still only has a stereo mix for Japanese dialogue. :( Also much MUCH better box art (as per usual). No english subs but has the English 5.1 channel mix.

Macross II is very good as far as the video goes. Nice box art too. No subtitles. Comes as seperate OVAs and not a stupid combined "Movie" version.

None of the Hong Kong bootlegs are direct copies of the Japanese discs because the Japanese discs are DVD9. The FlashBack disc MIGHT be a DVD5 but I am too lazy to put it in and check. :p

I personally own the R2 of FlashBack, as well as the Macross Movie (Summer '84). I also have the R2 of the 20th Anniversary Disc.

I'm planning on purchasing the R2 versions of Macross Plus but I'm being lazy :D

But all in all, if you want the best quality you have to get the R2s... the R1s suck, and the Hong Kong discs are downsampled...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: In case you're curious about the box art... it's like night and day

Macross Plus Movie art

Macross Plus BOX 1

Macross Plus BOX 2

:D

Edited by kazuo

Are you sure that the image your friend gave you isn't downsampled? Because the disc is a DVD9 so if it was an image on your HDD it should be like 6-8GB.... downsampling and re-encoding of the video will result in a decrease in video quality... as well as the sound...

Yes, it is full image, he ripped R2 dvd with me. Image is 8 053 182 464 bytes in size

About R2 M II. I do some search in net and as result - this no 1:1 HK disks AFAIK.

But danm, R2 costs approx 140$ !!!!!! For that? 2 disks.

Buy all R2 M+ OVA also 190$ in sum.

I personally own the R2 of FlashBack, as well as the Macross Movie (Summer '84). I also have the R2 of the 20th Anniversary Disc

Can you, than you have time, send me some shots from flashback 2012.

mail iliakis@__No Spam__@newmail.ru

That's the thing about this upcoming Mangle crap about their Macross boxset. Are they gonna use the newer/updated R2-versions or are they just gonna re-package the old crap. My guess is they're just gonna repackage their old crap.

--treatment--

Good guess.

They can't use Region 2 source as it is not a part of the licensing agreement. They would need to get the rights to that seperately.

Not that they would if they could, or even attempt to... Mangle is a shitty company.

That's the thing about this upcoming Mangle crap about their Macross boxset. Are they gonna use the newer/updated R2-versions or are they just gonna re-package the old crap. My guess is they're just gonna repackage their old crap.

--treatment--

knowing them : repackage the old ones.