1990 Super Deform DYRL Max plastic kit by Bandai

AcroRay

I noticed there wasn't any coverage in the MW models section of this neat little kit I just picked up, so I thought I'd share some images!

SD1AMax90boxart.jpg

Its a really nice little kit (no. 3 in the series) - fully transforming with removable FAST Pack elements & landing gear, a missile shooting Gun Pod, metallic decals, poly-caps, the works. It even has little heavy missiles and missile boxes that can be added or removed from the wings, which really surprised me. All of this in a kit that's about three inches or so tall in Battroid mode.

SD1AMax90boxsidephotos.jpg

The instruction sheet has an SD version of Max & Milia's courtship with some cute art. Notice it also details some "Special Variation" 1As, including an SD Angel Birds version. Bandai probably didn't make kits of these two, but suggested you make your own. Official Angel Bird presence in Bandai product...

SD1AMax90instructions.jpg

There was also a fold out with about 8 pages of detailed story, photos & 4-koma comics about the SD Musha (Samurai warrior) Valkyrie kits. I didn't scan those for imaging here (but will on request), but the back of the 4-fold had images of other non-Musha SD kits, including an Armored 1J and an SD VE-1, for you Elint fans. I don't know if those ever actually made it into production, though.

Other1990SDkits.jpg

The one I found pictured here was partially-assembled but unpainted, had a broken wing joint and only one sticker attached (the eye, which will be the most difficult to remove for restoration, of course.). Picked it up for only $5, though, which is worth it for the nice 1990's style box art alone. I'm looking forward to actually rebuilding it.

If any of the MW site owners want to use these scans for the models section, feel free to take these or contact me for new scans. I get the impression that these are a little on the rare side - at least here in North America - since I don't think I've personally seen any offered for sale in quite a few years. Or perhaps they're simply too unpopular to attract much attention.

Edited by AcroRay

Its a lot nicer, I think, than the Musha kits from the same period. The Mushas look all cool in photography, but they're tiny, fragile and not nearly as well rendered. And they're nowhere nearly as well made as the Musha Gundams.

I also got a confirmation from a friend on the SD Elint, so it looks like everything in the booklet advert made it to retail.

Musha musha musha!

MushaMacrossKits1.jpg

MushaMacrossKits2.jpg

Musha Story....

MushaMacrossStory.jpg

Edited by AcroRay

• 2 weeks later...