Help a newcomer please! Where to buy mecha kits in the likes of a

BostonMacK

Hey guys, thanks in advance for shecking out this post.

I have built a good share of WWII models and I am looking to getting in to something new. I have always loved Mechs growing up and now that i'm 35 years young and comfortable with an airbrush I know building a mech will be a BLAST!

I am looking to buy some kits in the likes of the old Destroid Monster/ATM-03 Fatty/Mak 3000 "Krote". I know the old kits are hard to grab and I was wondering what is out to date that is readily available? I am really stoked to start getting into this futuristic armor and i'm just finding it hard finding a sourse to buy these models.

I am new to the sceen and my knowledge on this is very limited. The names given above are just to show the style of mechs I am into for refference. What are your current day recomendations?

Thanks a million for any help!

~J

Welcome aboard, man!

If you are looking for newer macross, votoms, or machinenkrieger kits, your best bet is Hobbylink Japan. If you want to pick up some of the older, out-of-production kits, check ebay. There are a couple of cool overseas vendors who have some pretty good older kits. one of my favorites on ebay is AnimeHobbyHK. This seller has some very cool out of production kits for pretty decent prices. Here's a link- http://stores.ebay.com/AnimeHobbyHK.

Welcome BostonMacK! If you want some old school fun (and on sale now!), wraith is right. Check this out: http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?MacroType=Inj...p;GenreCode=Sci

Votoms is closer to what you've been building. The 1/20th Bandai kits are awesome! Multiple colored sprues, awesome fit, and the Red shoulder Scope Dog has tons of ordinance on it.

They are slower on order processing, but most of us here have probably used them for years. What country are you in? There's other options too.

The destroid monster is more easily available in resin. The plastic kit can be anywhere from $75 to $200 average last I saw - IF one is available.

Other Macross related stuff from HLJ: http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?MacroType=Inj...p;GenreCode=Sci

By the way, try not to drool on your keyboard :lol: . - MT

Thanks a million for the help guys.

Let me ask you a question. I am looking for something less robot like (without a robot head) and more armor/tank like (AT-AT/AT-ST/ ED-209). Some kind of walker or something like it. I am thinking of building a Gundam for the shelf in my 3 year olds room but I want something like mentioned above for myself. It seems this style mech is out of production and rare. Is there anything like this being made today that is readily available? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~J

In the world of mecha, there are the Super Robots (Reideen, Mazinger, etc), the Real Robots (Gundam, Macross, Layzner) and the HYPER-Real. Sounds like you are interested in Hyper-real mechs, like those in the old Battletech games.

If you want styrene kits, check out Votoms. the Votoms Scopedog is a pretty realistic mini-mech/power armor hybrid.

If that's not "industrial" enough for you, you might want to check out Armored Core. These kits are super-detailed, and have very crisp molding. The kits are about the most non-humanoid mecha models being put out right now.

Is this what you are looking for?- http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...1279#LargeImage

In the world of mecha, there are the Super Robots (Reideen, Mazinger, etc), the Real Robots (Gundam, Macross, Layzner) and the HYPER-Real. Sounds like you are interested in Hyper-real mechs, like those in the old Battletech games.

If you want styrene kits, check out Votoms. the Votoms Scopedog is a pretty realistic mini-mech/power armor hybrid.

If that's not "industrial" enough for you, you might want to check out Armored Core. These kits are super-detailed, and have very crisp molding. The kits are about the most non-humanoid mecha models being put out right now.

Is this what you are looking for?- http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...1279#LargeImage

That is in the area but not quite what i'm looking for. The problem here is that I was really into mecha in the 80's but lost touch over the years. That being said I really don't know much about anime and how the styles have changed over the years. All I can go by is what looks good to me, that being said it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. You guys are a huge help walking me through things here.

I really like the style of the Destroid Monster but it doesnt look like they are making kits in this style anymore.

Here is a couple pictures of ED-209 from Bobocop. This pretty much hits the nail on the head as far as the style i'm going for. I am thinking of buying a kit for this just for the flashback to childhood it would give me.

ed209-24.jpg

[ed-209.jpg

I am sure you can get the jist from these pics.

Thanks,

~J

Edited by BostonMacK