Macross Memorial Box DVD - Booklet Question

lynn2009

Now that a lot of online stores are offering higher discounts on the Macross TV Memorial DVD Box, I've been considering purchasing it. I'm especially interested in the booklet that is included. How many pages is it (any possible links to sample pages?)? Also, they mention character/mecha designs being included, but is it like the movie box book (full page scans) or like the crappy Macross Plus booklet (mini prints rearranged)? Any comments on content would be appreciated.

I'm at work so I can't give you an exact page count, but I think it's around 100 pages. It's got interviews with the staff, an episode synopsis, the usual character & mecha lineart, some of the cover art from the old IMAI/ARII kits, and some of the Macross merchandise that's been offered throughout the years. It's pretty nifty but doesn't offer anything that we haven't already seen, and it's definitely not worth the price of the box set.

I'm at work so I can't give you an exact page count, but I think it's around 100 pages. It's got interviews with the staff, an episode synopsis, the usual character & mecha lineart, some of the cover art from the old IMAI/ARII kits, and some of the Macross merchandise that's been offered throughout the years. It's pretty nifty but doesn't offer anything that we haven't already seen, and it's definitely not worth the price of the box set.

Thanks for the information. I saw an auction that mentioned it's a 200-paged book, so that's pretty nice (over the 24 pages for Macross Plus). Do you happen to know if the interviews are new or recycled (like how Macross the Movie box's were from the hardcover book)?

The book isn't really the only reason why I want the set (an upgraded version from my LDs and Animeigo DVDs would be a treat), but I'm really looking for untouched character design sheets. After looking at so many Yahoo Japan auctions, I realize how many images haven't appeared in any books. For example, the My Anime special from their 10/82 issue shows a few shots of Minmay and Yotchan not in any books (and the pages look pretty untouched).

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w26869250

Also, I'm curious to read Mikimoto's notes that he wrote on some of the production sheets. I'd love to see the instructions for drawing shadows on the character's faces.

I can't read kanji, so I don't know if the interviews are new or recycled.

I know what you mean about rare lineart, it's truly a treat when you find one in an odd location that hasn't been published in any of the major artbooks. :) I'll double-check when I get back home, but I don't recall seeing any lineart that hasn't already been published in the TIA books or Memory Perfect.

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, but I wasn't able to find my first two TIA books to compare, so all I'm working with is Memory Perfect and the third TIA book.

As for those Yotchan design sheets, the DVD booklet has them except for the ones where he's falling face-first into the ground, the one that focuses on his eye, and the one that focuses on his UN Spacy symbol. I can also verify that some of the interviews were taken straight out of Memory Perfect because it has "Interview MACROSS MEMORY PERFECT" right above them ;) However, there appears to be a new interview with Ishiguro since I can make out the words "25" (most likely in reference to Macross' 25th anniversary). Finally there's another interview with an older fellow who looks to be around Ishiguro's age. I don't recognize his photo so I couldn't tell you who he is.

As for the rest of the character designs, I'd guess that 97% of them can be found in the TIA books and Memory Perfect. Few struck me as new with the rare exception of a 3/4 bust-view of certain characters like Kamjin. The booklet also has rear headshots of all the major characters, meaning all you can see is the back of their hair. I don't remember seeing these before either. Hope this helps!

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, but I wasn't able to find my first two TIA books to compare, so all I'm working with is Memory Perfect and the third TIA book.

As for those Yotchan design sheets, the DVD booklet has them except for the ones where he's falling face-first into the ground, the one that focuses on his eye, and the one that focuses on his UN Spacy symbol. I can also verify that some of the interviews were taken straight out of Memory Perfect because it has "Interview MACROSS MEMORY PERFECT" right above them ;) However, there appears to be a new interview with Ishiguro since I can make out the words "25" (most likely in reference to Macross' 25th anniversary). Finally there's another interview with an older fellow who looks to be around Ishiguro's age. I don't recognize his photo so I couldn't tell you who he is.

As for the rest of the character designs, I'd guess that 97% of them can be found in the TIA books and Memory Perfect. Few struck me as new with the rare exception of a 3/4 bust-view of certain characters like Kamjin. The booklet also has rear headshots of all the major characters, meaning all you can see is the back of their hair. I don't remember seeing these before either. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the information. I'm not in a hurry to get the DVD box (hoping that the price will drop a little more), but I really appreciate everything you've mentioned.

A lot of the character designs are scattered across many of the books. The This is Animation Macross Shiryoushuu 1 &2 have a lot of the rear shots of characters uniforms, etc. (and untouched sheets) that don't appear in any other books, so in a lot of ways I like these two books better than even the Perfect Memory. Also, there's a head shot of Kakizaki that only appears in the Entertainment Bible books, and Max's pilot uniform with helmet appears in one of the Super Plastic Model Manuals. Hell, even the lousy How To Draw Robotech #2 had the character eye sheet.