Confused about Bandai re-issues...

CosmicSpore

I'm really confused about bandai re-issued models and I can't find this info anywhere.

The only info here at macross world is out dated by several years and lacking a lot of info.

Basically, I want to know 2 things.

1. I know bandai is reissuing the variable 1/74 and 1/100 scale variable model kits, for the 25th anniversary, like the one here:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN953433

But this site (and it's the only site I've seen have these) only has the typical VF-1S's, and one 1/72 VF-1A.

What I really want is the VF-1J Max Type, or even better, a VF-1A Max Special... has bandai released any more of these kits, or will be releasing any more? And if so, do they have a Max Type?

If not, anyone know where I can get some blue decals to make that VF-1A into a Max Special?....

Cause I have no idea where to get those.

2. This goes along the same lines as the above, but:

On the model information page here, it says Arii made a 1/100 Heavy Weapons Type series, and it says those are the kits that Bandai re-issues every 5 years.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models.../arii_hewat.htm

Well, what I REALLY would like to have is the Max Special on that information page.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...i/ar565_box.jpg

Was that one ever re-issued, and if so, does anyone have any information for me about it that would help me locate one?

The only ones I ever find are the normal series Max Type VF-1J valkyries.

I've looked everywhere and I can't find any more information about these old model kits.

I find lots of non-variable kits and lots of toys, but nothing more about these variable models.

If you guys have any information at all about this stuff (or even anything similar), it'd help me out.

Even if you know about a different 1/100+ scale Max VARIABLE model kit, if it was a high quality just let me know what to look for. The newer the better, because I don't have deep pockets for a rare one. :unsure:

Thanks!!!

Edited by CosmicSpore

CosmicSpore, welcome to MW!

Now when you say Max Special, that's the DYRL version, right? The Hasegawa VF-1 kits have spare blue decals, but I'm not sure if that's what you're after - or even if they'd properly fit a Bandai kit.

And from what I saw, the 1/72 variable reissue was solely the VF-1A (which I already have! bummer!).

HEWAT = strike parts?

Finally, evilBay is probably you best bet. The 1/100 kits aren't terribly popular these days so you can pick them up reasonably cheaply. A variable 1/72 Max special might be a little harder to find. The re-issue VF-1A is probably the best option - if you start a request thread you can prob grab a hi-res scan of the 1/72 decals from a MWer and print your own.

FWIW :)

Again, welcome!

Not all of the 1980's-90's models have been reissued. Either because they might not have been good seller from the start or because the original molds have been lost. Virtually what you see in HLJ is what Bandai has brought back from the dead and that might be all there will ever be.

If you are desperate, I am wondering how good do you feel at moding, building and kit-bashing models?

The 1/72 variable Bandai are exactly the same except for the heads and the color they are molded on; so you might have to paint it and mode the head from a Hasegawa, Kaiyodo or other battroid and buy the 1S on HLJ. Unless you happen to find the one on Evilbay.

Same goes for the 1/100 super battroid http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN953432

They only have the 1S version at HLJ but you could also mode the head from somewhere else another Bandai of the same scale found in "Ebayer" since the varian mold is the same as the 1/72 except for the color.

Hello CosmicSpore and welcome to MW,

Those 1/72 variable kits are really pretty neat! There weren't any fast pack equipped variable 1/72 kits, so you can forget about that unless you want to go through a lot of customizing and kit bashing. I don't think there was a VF-1A Max type kit released either, but it's really just a paint job. You can use the 1A variable kit and just paint it in Max's colors. White and blue for TV version, white-blue-black for DYRL. (the 1A head is a little different between the two versions, but not much) The 1J kits are harder to find and don't show up very often.

As for the 1/100 scale kits, the only ones I've seen reissued are the VF-1S Focker and the VF-1J Miria. Again, you can make a Max version of either of those by simply painting them in Max's colors. (the Miria kit is molded in red though, so you would need a good primer and paint) The 1/100 kits with the 1A heads are really hard to find now. Maybe you would have some luck looking for them on Yahoo Japan auctions, but that's a whole other bit of work to go through. The 1/100 kits are quite nice too and they will give you the Strike fast packs that it sounds like you are looking for. I have a 1/100 Miria Super kit for sale if you're interested.

Good luck with your search!

I'd add that eBay seems to be a good source for various editions of all of those at decent prices - especially the 1/72 variable kits, so you should have ample potential materials to work with. In many cases the variable kits are simple listed by scale, with no notation of their transformable feature.

The 1/72 variable kit heads are interchangeable and secured with a post/poly-cap combination. If you're looking to build a variable Max 1A using as little painting as possible (making it more toy-like and easier to build), you could combine the 1S kit - which is molded almost completely in while, with the head from the 1A and have a whole other Valk's worth of parts to experiment with, resell or trade off to make up the difference.

I don't have one of the recent re-issues of the 1/72 variable, but the 80s ones did feature metal landing gear with rubber tires, some metal parts in the shoulder transformation elements, lots of poly caps for secure joints & accessories, and detailed cockpits with pilots. So the kits are really very nice and extremely well engineered even by toyday's standard.

Edited by AcroRay

You guys are awesome, Thanks!

Probably the friendliest forum I've ever been to. :)

Anyways, I'm not sure how to mod kits, and I don't know what kit-bashing is!

[My Story]

I used to buy model kits when I was a kid, and macross has always been my favorite anime/cartoon/anything.

I always wanted the transformable macross kits when I was younger, but never had the money to afford them if I ever found one.

And I've just picked up model kits again after about... 15+ years. Heh... :)

Long story short, Max and Millia were always my favorite characters. Max more-so.

So, I decided I wanted a "special" Max model valkyrie to be the prize of my collection, for now.

I'm not specifically looking for a kit with a Strike pack, but I do enjoy having extra options!

More specifically, I'm looking for a model kit of the (DYRL) VF-1A Max Special, to have as my "prize".

I'm eventually going to get a regular Max Type VF-1J at 1/100 scale, to go with a Millia kit I already have. (Although, thanks on the offer for yours, Jardann :))

I've found the Max Type VF-1J's in both scales, but I can't find the Max Special VF-1A's in any scale.

From the sounds of it, I have two options, to keep waiting on ebay for a Max kit I like to pop up......

or to modify an existing model with paint and decals, or even by combining other model kits.

Although, at the moment, I do not have space in my apartment to do that sort of thing, so I'd have to wait for that too.

One more question though, do any of the other companies make transformable model kits besides bandai?

I've never seen a variable Hasegawa, of the original VF-1's.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. Does anyone know which transformable kits are perfect transforms and which need parts removed/moved in order to transform? Thanks again!

Edited by CosmicSpore

Well, as far as 'prefect transformation' kits are concerned, the old-style (Imai, and later Bandai) 1/72 and 1/100 scale kits require parts swapping. I haven't built any of the 1/100 scale kits, but I do believe they - as well as the 1./72 kits, which I have built - require removing the legs & head and replacing the entire cockpit/fuselage area with a shorter, closed-canopy version that has pegs for the legs to mount to i n Battroid mode. (That way fighter mode and Battroid mode are as close as possible to the anime-magic of their line art.) The 1/72's hands retract into the forearms, but if you have any of the non-fist option hands on it you'll have to take the hand off.

I would suggest that with picking up the variable 1/72 scale VF-1S and using its white body parts and Skull Squadron insignia and buying a 1/72 VF-1A for the head you should be able to just do a little bit of painting to make a Max special - TV or Movie versions. There's little basic difference in the designs between TV and Movie except some additional attention to mechanical details and textures in the movie versions, and the movie Valkyries' unique "Square Hands" (replacing the TV versions' more traditional super robot styled "Round Hands"), which you should be able to create well enough with a little carving and panel-line painting from the kits' fists. (And if you buy more than one kit, you'll have ample material to experiment with.)

I don't believe any conventional mass-market company has produced any Macross TV or Movie variable Valkyrie kits. Also, I don't believe I've seen any original resin kits of them as well.

More of what AR said,

I don't think there are any "perfect transformation" VF-1 model kits on the market. Your best representation of a "Max Special DYRL" will come from the Hasegawa kits. Either battroid or fighter. But these of course are not transformable. Other than that, you should be able to make a nice representation of Max's Valkyrie with the Bandai transformable kits.

I would suggest you work on some simple non-transforming airplane kits before you tackle one of the transformable kits. You will need some skill with using model cement cleanly and in the right amounts before working on a transformable kit. Messy glue joins are the biggest danger when making a model with moving parts. If your parts aren't properly aligned and cleanly glued then the kit will not move as it needs to and transformation will be a mess if not impossible. I don't say this to scare you, the Bandai kits (especially the 1/72 scale) are not that difficult to build as long as you take your time, follow the directions and make your joints as clean and strong as possible. If you do get the Bandai 1/72 kit and have any trouble with the Japanese instructions, PM me and I can get you a copy in English. Those kits were also issued by Revell as part of the Robotech Defenders line and those came with English instructions.

Good luck with the search!

Hey, thanks again for the info guys. :)

You're all very helpful!

I don't think I will have any problems building any of the kits...

I have no problems building any of my models so far, and I'm as careful as I can be with them. I take every precaution I can, and some model kits sometimes take me several days to complete (before painting) because of this.

I will take even more precautions when building the variables, since they are not only rare but very valuable to me! (Honestly, I'm even scared to start some models because of how valuable they are...)

So wish me luck! :D

As for transformable models, were there ever any non-VF-1's that were able to transform without part removal?

I'm not planning this for anytime soon, but I want to someday do a custom paint job for a perfectly transformable valkyrie, if there ever was such a model.

And if there is such a model, I'd like to buy it soon before it gets rarer and harder to find like all the others... if it's not already!

If not, a lot of the toys can do it, right?

Some of those toys look so nice... If I could afford them, I certainly would! ^_^

Edited by CosmicSpore

Hey, thanks again for the info guys. :)

You're all very helpful!

I don't think I will have any problems building any of the kits...

I have no problems building any of my models so far, and I'm as careful as I can be with them. I take every precaution I can, and some model kits sometimes take me several days to complete (before painting) because of this.

I will take even more precautions when building the variables, since they are not only rare but very valuable to me! (Honestly, I'm even scared to start some models because of how valuable they are...)

So wish me luck! :D

I'm actually building a 1/72 variable currently. Started it about 3 weeks ago. So far I've only finished part of the arms and legs. That's it. I suspect it'll take me until Winter to finish. And that's IF I finish. Entirely possible I could mess up the paint job and ruin the model beyond salvation. :D

Edited by Vifam7