What is a good pen for panel lining?

atreyu2112

Itoya FinePoint System pens are fairly cheap and come in .1 mm varieties. Just make sure to get the permanent ink version. I've found it best to just make a rough line over the panel line, making sure to actually get the ink inside, then getting a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol and lightly brushing perpendicular to it to wipe off the excess. This is over bare plastic; if you're doing it over paint, it's tougher to wipe off, and depending on the paint (particularly flats) it might smear, so in that case I'd just try to get an accurate line from the start.

Sakura Microns are OK, but they wipe off easier. Not too much of a problem once the ink's safely inside a panel line, though, and if you're doing it over non-glossy paint it'll prolly stick no matter what. Also cheap.

Rapidographs give you the finest lines, but they cost a ton.

You can probably find all three at your nearest craft store.

Here's a MG Turn-A I did using an Itoya FinePoint (that hand is about a centimeter wide) so you know it works:

post-8579-1214515940_thumb.jpg

Edited by xyh

I looked around a bit and couldn't find the thread I saw it stated in. I know not to use a sharpie fine point, LOL. But where would I be able to find a good pen that won't fade or green? Thanks guys!

Rapidographs, or technical pens, will give you the finest line but cost a bit more than a good Sakura felt tip. On the plus sid eyou can load them with what ever color ink you want. As you can see here a set will set you back a bit but should last far longer than anything else. Copic also makes some stunning fine line pens.