Knockoff "Super Space Time" 1/170 kits

AcroRay

Ha! Those are "Most New Set!" :lol:

Be forewarned, those are only worth it for the amusement factor.

Couldn't they at least have bootlegged a kit that was good to begin with? :wacko::p

I do have some somewhere. I'm probably going to be digging through some of my stuff this weekend, so if I come across any, I'll post up some pics.

• 1 month later...

After some miscommunication, my first 4 kits arrived the other day - Battroids and Armored Battroids. Fun little things! Lotsa cute engrish on the packaging.

The Battroids are copied from the Arii 1/170 VF-1A/1S kit and are molded in a slightly metallic mustard and metallic gray respectively. Each kit has both heads, paper decals you have to cut out yourself, and are a couple of percent smaller than the originals. Detail is a little soft, but the one I built (the 1A, pictured in the Workbench thread) went together OK.

Battroid1A-1.jpg

The Armored Battroids are knocked off of Nichimo 1/200 kits, but are a tiny bit smaller with slightly mushy details. The 1A is forest green, and the 1J is a dark gray. Each kit includes both heads and the screws that the original kit had, as well as the tiny bracket part for mounting inside the little display bubble the kits were originally released with back in the 80s. They also came with paper decals, although they were mismatched from other kits in the line.

The 1J box & contents:

Armored1J.jpg

Comparing the knockoff 1A, parts to the parts of a vintage 1J (Battletech repackage edition):

ArmoredPartsCompare.jpg

Quick buildup on the 1A, using some of the paper decals where appropriate:

Battroid1Abuiltup.jpg

...They were fun, so I ordered a half-dozen more from the dealer before he runs out. I included order for a Gerwalk 1J and Fighter 1D to figure out what line they originated with.

Edited by AcroRay

• 2 weeks later...

I built the VF-1S Battroid kit from the set this past weekend:

Battroid1Sbuiltup.jpg

Note that there's no Jolly Roger on the canopy armor. There wasn't one included with the kit's decals. I considered digging out an old decal from my files, but I thought I'd instead just leave it as is, since the point was to have it as an example of a knockoff rather than to 'upgrade' its authenticity.

The kit is exactly the same tooling as the VF-1A seen earlier in the thread. In fact, each kit has both heads. They're just cast in different plastic colors - tan for the 1A, gray for the 1S - and have different decal sets and instructions.

Here it is in a vintage 1/170 Armored Factory kit:

VF1S1_170Factory.jpg

That brings back a nolstalgic feeling seeing the old 1/170 factory module.

Those kits actually look like they go together a slight bit better than the originals! :blink: The seam lines aren't as atrocious. That could be your modelling skill making the best of a bad situation though. Still pretty cool and amusing to see. Thanks for showing these.

Thanks! Yeah, I just love the nostalgia of these. I'm a sentimental guy! (Or maybe just mental...) The dirt cheap price helps, too.

I've got a build-up of the original 80s VF-1S from this kit, and the seams actually aren't bad at all. This thing is far worse. Maybe the old editions had some bad de-mold QC.

Anyway, I did just snap it together. But as they always say, the best way to build a snap kit is to cut off all the pegs and glue it together.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Super Space-Time Models buildup to add - the 1/170 VF-1J Gerwalk!

This was molded in gray, so it only required a little paint. Only thing is, the kit design (both this and the original) looks terrible, so careful paint applications helped make it a little nicer. Canopy is sky blue, spec from the kit's Japanese instructions. The seams and joining on this one was horrible, and I had to glue & clamp the arms to even keep them together.

Gerwalk1Jknockoffkit.jpg

The stickers were a little funky, with caution orange instead of red, and yellow in place of the white field in the UN Spacey kite (which was also upside-down on the left wing stripe). The screw-heads were a pain to cut out, but a little gray Gundam marker around the edges cured the exposed white area from the thick paper, and one of my kids' red watercolor markers cured the same problem on the white stripes.

Old-School Heroes! Hanging out with Sempai's Battroid knockoff...

OldSchoolHeroes.jpg

Good couple of hours of nostalgic fun with this one.

Thanks! I'm not sure which one I'll build next, though. The fighter VF-1D I got was molded in a deep blue/green, which sort of nixes the fun of an easy build since its not molded in either of the spec colors.

I had no luck whatsoever with the Armored VF-1A, which is a Nichimo VF-1J 1/200 kit with an icky 1A head added by the bootlegger. The first one I got was cast in a nice forest green, but was missing half of a thigh. The second I got was cast in a different green, but the front torso half is mis-molded - half of it is missing because plastic didn't fill the whole cavity.

Both of my Armored 1J kits are nice, though, and cast in a dark gray. So I'll probably build one of those next if any.

Edited by AcroRay