is MORPHPLAST or Maji-plast any good ?

kkx

Saw this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-KG-MORPHPLAST-Make...1QQcmdZViewItem

(Item number: 280217040352)

I wonder if this is any good for some simple scratch building.

I been wanting to try out silicon mold and resin, but was too intimidated. Maybe this is tame enough for me to handle.

Anyone tried it? Your experience will help me decide. Mind sharing?

Never heard of the stuff. Looks interesting though! Keep us informed on how you go.

The benefits of resin is that if you've got the right stuff - it should pour like water - and picks up every single tiny detail from the mould. The problem with this material is that it might not be so good for detail. But keep us updated.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff you heat up in hot water isn't it? I think you'll have issues with gluing and paint adhesion. It's good for making molds and prototypes I hear, not finished products. I'm curious about how good it is too! - MT

I am very qurious about how useful this is. Will buy some small quantity and try it out soon.

I am worrying about deformation when it is hot too if this is used for finished product. I think MechTech is right, maybe for mold and stuff it is ok.

The description I seen so far really make this out to be a really exiciting material. :)

I've used the stuff before, it's not as useful as it might sound.

i found it frustrating to use, & it's not good for long-time use.

the problem i saw with the stuff is that you need to use hot water with it,

while it "activates" the material, it can also stay in the material as you're trying to knead/sculpt it.

not to mention bubbles that might have formed during the process, weakening the piece you're working on.

and fishing for the stuff in hot water is not as romantic as it sounds :mellow:

you can get pretty good results, but it's very tricky. i've had a piece that i could throw, drop, & step on & it wouldn't break.

but i also had a couple of pieces that simply crumbled apart.

in my experience, the stuff's about 50/50 on practical application.

there's also the surface finish.

it hardens like nylon & it doesn't smooth out pretty well. it's not glue, sanding or paint friendly either.

you could probably use it as "reinforced" parts or something.

and you wouldn't want to use it for surface detail because of how the material "acts"

:)

I've used the stuff before, it's not as useful as it might sound.

i found it frustrating to use, & it's not good for long-time use.

the problem i saw with the stuff is that you need to use hot water with it,

while it "activates" the material, it can also stay in the material as you're trying to knead/sculpt it.

not to mention bubbles that might have formed during the process, weakening the piece you're working on.

and fishing for the stuff in hot water is not as romantic as it sounds :mellow:

you can get pretty good results, but it's very tricky. i've had a piece that i could throw, drop, & step on & it wouldn't break.

but i also had a couple of pieces that simply crumbled apart.

in my experience, the stuff's about 50/50 on practical application.

there's also the surface finish.

it hardens like nylon & it doesn't smooth out pretty well. it's not glue, sanding or paint friendly either.

you could probably use it as "reinforced" parts or something.

and you wouldn't want to use it for surface detail because of how the material "acts"

:)

Damn, just paid good money for 250g of this stuff. :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing. At least now we have some info from someone with first hand experience.

I might use this for making mold for resin casting. Sounds like a good way to reduce cost by using this reusable material instead of silicon mold.

Will try it out when it arrived and report back.

I might use this for making mold for resin casting. Sounds like a good way to reduce cost by using this reusable material instead of silicon mold.

This is what I was thinking it could be used for.