Looking for good Sci-Fi.

For Neal Stephenson - I would highly,highly recommend Snow Crash. This is by far, my favorite book hands down. The way the Metaverse is presented is very close to what Second Life offers.

I have long been a fan of William Gibsons work. Neuromancer is a scifi classic that should be apart of anyones book collection. I've enjoyed all that I have read. I am looking forward to reading Spook Country once I have some time.

Edited by Capt Hungry

+1 for Iain M. Banks, whatever his socio-political opinions may be or not and/or may be present in his books or not, either you abuse of illegal products or not: he simply is a great writer, hands down. I recommend especially Player of Games and Use of Weapons but not Excession, at least for a reader who never read anything of the Culture; Look to Windward is magical in its own way and could/should be used in replacement for Consider Phlebas

Dan Simmons' Hyperion is simply immortal, as well as Daniel Keyes' Flowers for Algernon by the way

On a more obscure note, Daniel F. Galouye's Simulacron 3 is what Matrix should have been

David Weber's Honor Harrington is a good pastime, as well as China Mieville's Perdido Street Station although this last one is more fantasy than sci-fi

Presently, I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods which simply owns, but it's pure fantasy, not sci-fi