Where to get scratch building materiels?

SpaceCowboy

I read the beginner scratch building articles over on starshipmodeller and think I may give it a shot. Will a normal hobby shop carry 0.03 plastic styrene sheets, or is this something I'm going to have to search for. I'd rather just buy flat sheets and cut them out rather than busting up models (which sounds like it can get expensive).

SpaceCowboy

Yeap, it could get pretty expensive to kit bash models. Your best bet is to stop in a semy big hobby shop. The ones that carry trains and WW II models and ask them for styrene sheets. Also depending of what you wanna do, balsa wood, sculpey and cardboard are good for scratch building. Some internet model stores and some specializing sites carry them. go to google and reach for evergreen styrene sheets...

Garbage is a good source for scratchbuilders. Really, I collect all sort of plastic material (polystirene mostly) from plastic lids, forks, spoons and so.

For sheet styrene although hobby shops ussually have them you can find cheaper and bigger ones at art stores and of course, in plastic stores (specialized in selling acrylic rods, plastic sheets and the like)

Two parts epoxy clay is also a must have.

For kitbashing parts use those non expensive kits (I use Heller 1/100 line since here they are ~1u$s)

The evergreen plastic rods and profiles are also a good thing to gather.

I would look for a good sized local hobby shop first and also branch out into hobby train stores too - Train enthusiasts build most of their buildings from stryene sheets and you can get quite a good selection at these types of stores.

Cool, I'm going to check out my HobbyTown and see if they have any (they had some listed on their website (6"x12"x0.03") for ~$2.00. Gerwalker mentioned that art stores would have larger sheets cheaper. Are we talking Michael's? Or something else?

Thanks for the recommendation on the 1/100th heller. That sounds like it could be useful.

Oh what fun...hehehe

SpaceCowboy

Cool, I'm going to check out my HobbyTown and see if they have any (they had some listed on their website (6"x12"x0.03") for ~$2.00. Gerwalker mentioned that art stores would have larger sheets cheaper. Are we talking Michael's? Or something else?

Thanks for the recommendation on the 1/100th heller. That sounds like it could be useful.

Oh what fun...hehehe

SpaceCowboy

I can't tell you a store name since I live in Southamerica, but just go where the architects ussually buy their stuff (best places are the shops at the architecture faculties and the like) The architecture and industrial design students ussually make a lot of prototypes and mock ups and they use roughly the same material that you need for scratchmodeling (since they actually do that as homework!! ) When I was a chemistry student (a decade ago) I ussually crossed the campus to the architecture and design faculty building not only because there were some hot babes (at least compared with the chemistry, physics and math students) but because there were half a dozen of stores selling plastic sheets, plastic and wood rods and profiles, spray paints, airbrushes, cutters, x-acto knives, cements, waterproof markers... ahhh a modeler's heaven.

And yes those cheap Heller models have a lot of useful shapes for kitbashing.

Hot babes in Architecture ?!!? :o

Man, boy did I miss out! :p We either got the "womyn" (man hating ultra-radical feminist) or the climbing urber-arts dressed completely-in-black psuedo intellectuals both of which you don't want to be caught in a dark alley somewhere if you're a man :( And anyone up after 3 or 4 days straight without sleep or shower before a deadline wasn't so fresh :p

Peter, the guy who built this conversion set:

http://models4you.whoadude.com/temp/hazel/...es/DSC05527.jpg

does a surprising amount of work with Bondo (from the auto supply store) and "for sale" signs (which are made of styrene). I'd recommend taking a good look at his Hi-Zack work, that guy knows a thing or two about making models. He makes some nice custom decals, too.

Of course, us regular mortals often find materials that are a little more specialized. If your local hobby shops fail you, try the local art supply stores. I visited three in Cambridge a couple months back and they all had a decent selection of styrene sheet and rod, acrylics, ABS, metal parts, and little (poorly detailed) figures and such in various scales. Art stores are also a good place for various essential tools, like x-acto knives, circle cutters, protractors, rulers, etc. Jewelery stores can be good as well, I got a really nice metric caliper at a Jewelery store in Portland. It's great, measuring stuff is really important and now I have a tool that can do it accurately and reliably.

Hot babes in Architecture ?!!? :o

Man, boy did I miss out! :p We either got the "womyn" (man hating ultra-radical feminist) or the climbing urber-arts dressed completely-in-black psuedo intellectuals both of which you don't want to be caught in a dark alley somewhere if you're a man :( And anyone up after 3 or 4 days straight without sleep or shower before a deadline wasn't so fresh :p

:D Yes, seems that we studied in different countries and Universities. Very funny. Though maybe if you compare your "womyn" with my chemistry, physics and math female students you would think about them as hot babes... BTW: I met my wife their but she studied biology and that's another kind of fauna. Biology girls students are very nice girls (that's why I always choose chemistry for biologyst when I used to be a professor :rolleyes::rolleyes: )