Batman: Gotham Knight

wolfx

Got Gotham Knight today ahead of it's UK release on Monday.

I gotta say, it's realy dull and dissapointing for the most part. :(

I think this was intentional as the stories are supposed to lead straight into each other so there's a feeling of escaltion and start/middle/end about the whole thing but it really doesn't work when you have such different styles that it feels like you're watching different fictions altogether.

I reckon they should have just used a single director/style and made the whole thing as one feature, they could have kept the kids imaginative interpretations of Batman as a good way to intorduce the idea that the citizens of Gotham are only just starting to come to terms with the Batman's existence. It did rather rip off that episode from season 4 of TAS, though mecha Batman riding around in an osprey was pretty cool.

It was worth watching for the about the 2nd half onwards, as others have said the last two are the best, the scene with Batman in the pile of rubbish at the end of "Working Through the Pain" was very well done. I also enjoyed Field test even though the Batmobile is so mercilessly teased but never really shown. :(

The special features are very lacking too, no galleries or interviews, not even a trailer for the main event!

Glad I only paid a tenner for it.

Edited by Fort Max

The Animated Series Extras are better than the actual featured shorts. I'm only slightly impressed by the Work With The Pain segment because it had good art and not so cliche dialogue. I think part of the joy of watching Batman is having him go thru the steps and trials of catching up to his enemies and then kicking their butt. Which you can't really get from a short then the animation wasn't that great, but the dialogue is painfully bad in these. In the first one the backgrounds were amazing but the character designs were hideous. Not to mention that it was ridiculous how the action followed the three storytellers.