Need Some Help Here

misterryno

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a couple of my 1/55 reissues custom painted, but I surely lack the necessary skill in order to do it myself. Is there anyone out there that does this kind of service for a decent price? I was also looking at the waterslide decals and sets but they are sadly no longer available I gather. I have heard of some that have used vinyl tape in order to customize their 1/55's as well....if I could get some info on this too that would be splendid. THANKS ALOT.

:ph34r:

You may be able to plead with Devin and get him to do you a set. But as far as doing the paint for you there are a few here who have the relevant toy experience to do your chunky justice. Vinyl tape is ok but it's thick and can hide some of the detail.

Just cruise the gallery pages and pm some of the more notable members to see if they are interested.

You may be able to plead with Devin and get him to do you a set. But as far as doing the paint for you there are a few here who have the relevant toy experience to do your chunky justice. Vinyl tape is ok but it's thick and can hide some of the detail.

Just cruise the gallery pages and pm some of the more notable members to see if they are interested.

Yo thanks for the info Biggie

personally, I'd try to get nightmareb4macross to do them. I think his work is great, especially the low viz 1/55.

Yeah he's a busy guy but his work is good.

Kurt may be up for it but IIRC he has a back log of commissions.

personally, I'd try to get nightmareb4macross to do them. I think his work is great, especially the low viz 1/55.

What's my Low-Viz, chopped liver???????????

:blink:

http://robotech-aod.com/images/ValkToys/Ha...lur-Fighter.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

I like your low-vis. Are you interested in doing any work for me? PM me if so.

:ph34r:

Hey, better than I could do on a 1/55. Touchy...anyhow, I'd never seen it before. But then, come on, you expect me to lower myself to go to a ROBOTECH site ?! :p

Really though, that's tight. Can we get some battroid pics?

I might be tempted to take a commission - but the question is what's a good price for what standard of work?

Now the price all depends on the quality. ^_^

Hey, better than I could do on a 1/55. Touchy...anyhow, I'd never seen it before. But then, come on, you expect me to lower myself to go to a ROBOTECH site ?! :p

Really though, that's tight. Can we get some battroid pics?

LOL! :) Touch? Hell yes. Hey, I'm the guy who made the first low-viz... Nobody ever gives me credit. *pout*

Seriously though...

Battroid pics sure. I'm still not finished with her yet though... Gimme a day or so to post them.

Heck, I haven't truly completed ANY of my customs yet other than the Marine Low-viz, Alaska, and Tiger Valks. They are all in various stages of completion while my house is built. I have a section in the garage that will have a work bench intended for ammo reloading/gunsmithing and Valk building. WOOT!

Edited by Skull-1

:unsure::blink: :blink: :blink:

Theres a side of you I didn't know about.

What's that supposed to mean? There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning and enjoying firearms. They're valuable tools. Some of our funnest family excursions are to the gun range. My nine-year old has been shooting since he was five. My five-year old even knows how to shoot and she's not bad.

My hobbies:

Females

Flying

Firearms

The Three Fs. :)

Edited by Skull-1

What's that supposed to mean? There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning and enjoying firearms. They're valuable tools. Some of our funnest family excursions are to the gun range. My nine-year old has been shooting since he was five. My five-year old even knows how to shoot and she's not bad.

My hobbies:

Females

Flying

Firearms

The Three Fs. :)

What is it with Texas and guns?! And to think I was actually born there...

What is it with Texas and guns?! And to think I was actually born there...

It's an American thing, not just a Texan thing. A man has a right to self-defense. Period.

My wife was a rape victim many years ago in part because she was unarmed. She will not be caught without the ability and skill to defend herself with a handgun ever again. If you don't like 'em then don't have 'em. I do and I do, responsibly and with skill.

I suggest we steer clear of this topic before the thread gets locked.

It's an American thing, not just a Texan thing. A man has a right to self-defense. Period.

My wife was a rape victim many years ago in part because she was unarmed. She will not be caught without the ability and skill to defend herself with a handgun ever again. If you don't like 'em then don't have 'em. I do and I do, responsibly and with skill.

I suggest we steer clear of this topic before the thread gets locked.

Sorry to hear that mate. I am glad that you keep yourselves defended though. My fiance (wife) and I both hold black belts in Taekwondo for now. :ph34r:

No harm was meant by it Skull.

I just had an image kinda like a mad scientist in his bunker developing a dooms day weapon. "Hah ha I will get this 1/55 Valk gun hybrid to fly Hahaha !! " Now what color shall I paint it"

It's just my mad English sense of humor

I can understand the need for guns. Yes they are fun tools and obviously they have a darker side to them as well.

I have had some good times on the firing range and clay shooting.

The fact that they are largely outlawed in the U.K doesn't stop the criminals from having them and that kinda taints them.

In the U.K the right to defend is utter crap. At least in the U.S if someone attacks you it's OK to use force to defend yourself. I got my mum to carry a can of mace but under U.K law it is technically a deadly weapon and she should have a permit or licence for it. If she had to use it say against a rapist then he/the goverment can sue her for GBH and it's irelevent that she was defending herself. I'd sooner teach her to use a gun and just shoot the guy in the leg but under our dumbass laws she'd do time just for owning the gun without shooting anyone.

Remember kids "guns don't kill people. People do"

Edited by big F

No harm was meant by it Skull.

I just had an image kinda like a mad scientist in his bunker developing a dooms day weapon. "Hah ha I will get this 1/55 Valk gun hybrid to fly Hahaha !! " Now what color shall I paint it"

It's just my mad English sense of humor

Now *THAT* is funny!!!!!!!!! :)

I can understand the need for guns. Yes they are fun tools and obviously they have a darker side to them as well.

I have had some good times on the firing range and clay shooting.

The fact that they are largely outlawed in the U.K doesn't stop the criminals from having them and that kinda taints them.

In the U.K the right to defend is utter crap. At least in the U.S if someone attacks you it's OK to use force to defend yourself. I got my mum to carry a can of mace but under U.K law it is technically a deadly weapon and she should have a permit or licence for it. If she had to use it say against a rapist then he/the goverment can sue her for GBH and it's irelevent that she was defending herself. I'd sooner teach her to use a gun and just shoot the guy in the leg but under our dumbass laws she'd do time just for owning the gun without shooting anyone.

Remember kids "guns don't kill people. People do"

Amazing that the nation that first codified the idea of the right to self-defense now sees no use for it.

Don't worry, the USA isn't far behind... Guess I'm a little touchy as it seems every week some idiot councilman tries to come up with another restriction on the good guys--as if the bad guys care.

:mellow:

Guess I'm a little touchy as it seems every week some idiot councilman tries to come up with another restriction on the good guys--as if the bad guys care.

:mellow:

It's because those idiot's don't have anything to worry about. Their protected somehow. Also....it's because those idiot's are the bad guys. <_<

Ok, to get this train back on track:

Skull: It was a joke, no hostility intended. I myself own 3 guns. It was more of a dig at Texas than gunowners. At least I didn't quote full metal jacket, so give me SOME credit. If it makes you feel better, I was born in Corpus, and own firearms, so I really can't talk.

Now, back to the task at hand, I have 3 questions:

1. Where the hell are my Battroid pics ?!

2. Some tips on the weathering and paints you used would be cool (I want that look on my 1/72 Arctic Camo 1J I'm working on) , I've got an old Jetfire screaming paint me. How did you do the diecast?

3. On your "tiger" custom, what did you use to get the "stripes"?

It's because those idiot's don't have anything to worry about. Their protected somehow. Also....it's because those idiot's are the bad guys. <_<

Oh that is a PRICELESS quote right there. SMOOTH! :)

Ok, to get this train back on track:

Skull: It was a joke, no hostility intended. I myself own 3 guns. It was more of a dig at Texas than gunowners. At least I didn't quote full metal jacket, so give me SOME credit. If it makes you feel better, I was born in Corpus, and own firearms, so I really can't talk.

No harm done! :)

Now, back to the task at hand, I have 3 questions:

1. Where the hell are my Battroid pics ?!

2. Some tips on the weathering and paints you used would be cool (I want that look on my 1/72 Arctic Camo 1J I'm working on) , I've got an old Jetfire screaming paint me. How did you do the diecast?

3. On your "tiger" custom, what did you use to get the "stripes"?

1) On backorder. :p

2) I work mostly with water-based stuff for weathering because I can wash it off when I screw it up.

- Sand *EVERYTHING* -- A LOT

- Rustoleum is your friend

- For weathering pencils and water-based Pactra/Testors are my favorites. Just pick a color slightly darker than what you use for your base coat (or mix it) and just blotch and drag as needed. Pencil scribbled heavily on paper works great as well. Just use the paper to smear the graphite around.

3) A very thin brush. Painted by hand. I went back and fixed some mistakes that are visible in those pictures but never got the chance to take more shots of the final product. The owner has been promising me some for awhile. I hope he does it soon!!!!!

Edited by Skull-1

No harm done! :)

1) On backorder. :p

2) I work mostly with water-based stuff for weathering because I can wash it off when I screw it up.

- Sand *EVERYTHING* -- A LOT

- Rustoleum is your friend

- For weathering pencils and water-based Pactra/Testors are my favorites. Just pick a color slightly darker than what you use for your base coat (or mix it) and just blotch and drag as needed. Pencil scribbled heavily on paper works great as well. Just use the paper to smear the graphite around.

3) A very thin brush. Painted by hand. I went back and fixed some mistakes that are visible in those pictures but never got the chance to take more shots of the final product. The owner has been promising me some for awhile. I hope he does it soon!!!!!

Alrighty Skully....we'll be talking ;)

Painting a toy and getting it to stay is the Holly grail of custom work here. The very nature of the product means that your gonna want to ply with it even if you lock it in a glass box and throw the key away. Its all got to be hard waring and also still allow the thing to move. At least with a Model you build it paint it display it and you know never to touch it as it will fall apart as soon as you do. Skull knows all about this as his daughter loves his Valks, Theres never a better road test on a toy than a little kid. :)

Okay you asked for Battloid/Battroid pics.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT THE FINALIZED APPEARANCE OF THE CUSTOM.

It has not received its final weathering or flat clear coat. I am still applying some decals to it. There are a few other details still to be added as well. The weathering is intended to be seen flat not gloss so as far as I'm concerned it looks like sh*t right now.

Go back to the picture posted first to get an idea of what flat looks like.

Now that you have been warned...

post-318-1198376154_thumb.jpg

post-318-1198376165_thumb.jpg

post-318-1198376172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1